keezer heater options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPP33

Reaction score
I bit the bullet today and bought another chest freezer to use as a ferm chamber. The bin of water and aquarium heater/ frozen water bottles work great but it's a bit of the pain in the ass and on days like to today I can't get them below about 75 degrees without some help from refrigeration. I'll be using a freezer that can hold two fermenters and am looking at options to add a heater for when the freezer works too good and things get a little chilly. I've seen the ones that wrap around fermenters but with one temp controller I'd prefer something that applies a more general heat so both carboys are held at a similar temp.

Unless the two carboys are at the same place in their fermentation, they're not going to be at a "similar" temp. If one is actively fermenting, it'll be warmer than one that is finished.

Or are you doing two carboys where you've split a batch?

It would be in the case of two brewed on the same day, either split batch or two different brews with compatible ferm temps. One would have a probe for temp control and the other for monitoring as I do today.

I use a Lasko my heat personal heater, 200 watts and has a built in fan and I have 2 fermenter going at a time also.

I just stuck a lamp in mine... worked just fine on the occasion that the freezer overshot the temp

I use a fermwrap but just have it inside the chamber instead of hooked up to a carboy.

Thanks for input and ideas. I ended up finding a seed mat on Amazon for $12 with free shipping. It’s waterproof so spills and condensation shouldn’t be an issue. Tossed it in with two carboys and it appears to work perfect. Currently raising temp to help the yeast clean up and it’s sitting right on the set temp of 70.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7U259C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back