Keezer Energy Consumption - just an FYI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharmon203

Reaction score
So I purchased a keezer used because the guy was selling it for less than I could build the thing for and I thought free labor was good. It's a 4 tap keezer with an inkbird 1000. temp controller. He didn't insulate the collar to the freezer and I wondered how much this was costing me. So I decided to put a plug in multi-meter on the plug to see how long it was on and how much electricity was costing.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing on the meter. When the unit turned on it initially drew about 100 watts, then settle around 80. This is nothing for a refrigeration energy consumption. It took about 25 min to get down 2 degrees. It hasn't even used 5kw in about a month. Frigidaire is the brand name of my keezer, I can hold up to 5 kegs in it with room for bottles on the steps.

Cheers

fwiw, when I first built my current, 13cf keezer (8-1/2 years ago) I put it on a Killowatt meter for months and extrapolating out to a year the energy cost was $29. That's the keezer plus my brewery control system and all of the small fans within the cabinet.
I don't even think about it...

Cheers!

Back