Keezer defrost issue / question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GryphonBrew

Reaction score
So I may be able to get a great deal on a 23 cuft deep freezer. The only issue is that the owner says "it freezes great for about a month and then defrosts itself"... Any idea if that will matter at all with what I'll be using it for? Since it's never actually going to be freezing anyway? If it still did this "defrost" once per month thing would that ruin my beer by heating it up? Not really sure what else to ask. Any insight would be appreciated.

They might exist, but I've never heard of a deep freezer that has a designed-in defrost cycle, and frankly it doesn't make much sense to me. I'd suspect a nascent problem with the starter electronics...

Cheers!

Just to be sure, are you referring to a chest freezer or an upright freezer? Either one can be referred to as a "deep" freezer. If it is a chest freezer, I would agree with day_trippr.

I don't think it would have any effect on your beer if it does have a built in defrost cycle. The temps in the freezer would most likely not rise much above your set temperature. I can't imagine it would be too difficult or costly to disable the defrost function.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Good stuff thanks! It is a CHEST style freezer. I hadn't heard of that function before either. And if I understand the way that the new temp probe will opperate my keezer, it won't let the freezer turn on to do anything but run when needed to drop down to the temp I set it at... Correct?

Latest posts

Back