Keezer Collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottJB1980

Reaction score
Just bought a freezer, I have a draft tower, and I'm going to Lowe's tomorrow to buy wood to build the collar. Does any one have on good advice on building the collar?

This is the Perlick tower I plan on using.

image-541849695.jpg

image-2289985754.jpg

image-2267142383.jpg

image-2385871207.jpg

I have a pretty big freezer - maybe 14 to 15 cf. I think I can fit everything in the freezer without building a collar. I was thinking that it will be a good substaight to attach the co2 manifold to.

You raise a good point though. If everything fits without a collar, I probably don't need to build one.

I have a pretty big freezer - maybe 14 to 15 cf. I think I can fit everything in the freezer without building a collar. I was thinking that it will be a good substaight to attach the co2 manifold to.

You raise a good point though. If everything fits without a collar, I probably don't need to build one.

If you don't need the extra height, instead of a collar you can attach the manifold to a "sleeper" embedded in and epoxied to the lid insulation under the lid liner.
ab_jun_24_2011_13_sm.jpg

ab_jun_24_2011_36_sm.jpg

Cheers!

That's a good idea! Do you have a fan that blows cold air into your tower?

Yes, you can see it hanging behind the back row of kegs in the second picture. It looks like this up close:
ab_jun_24_2011_37_sm.jpg

40mm 12V DC heat sink fan mounted in a plastic case, a shop vac transition piece (I think it's for 1.25" to 2" hoses) I picked up at Lowes stuck through a hole cut in the case half, then I heated up the end of a four foot piece of 1" ID vinyl hose and pushed it over the transition piece.

I stuffed the tube up into the tower column about half way and ran the beer lines around it. The column is insulated with neoprene and the faucet box is insulated with an inch and a half of foam. The whole thing works well enough to get the faucets to sweat during humid weather...

Cheers!

I took the lid off the freezer today. I decided to take all of the insulation out of the lid and replace it (it smelled bad). I may try to use the wiring for the internal light for a light on the surface of the top. I'm still thinking that I will not need to build a collar. If I need one later, I suppose I could add it. I just bought wood for the top today and my plan is to cut it tonight.

image-4008180426.jpg

image-304171155.jpg

image-2334001817.jpg

image-3472482145.jpg

image-687641732.jpg

Without the the collar, I can only fit 4 kegs. With it, I can fit 7 kegs and my 5# CO2 tank.

I'm actually thinking about building a coffin for the top of my keezer even though I've already got a collar. I just like the look of them better.

I guess I'll put that in my to do list behind motorizing my grain mill and finishing my new mash tun.

Lesson learned, if you hit t-nuts too hard against the ground, the threads will tighten, making them unusable and you'll get pissed off. I hope they have brass lag bolts. I'm giving up on t-nuts.

image-3609236761.jpg

ScottJB1980 said:
Lesson learned, if you hit t-nuts too hard against the ground, the threads will tighten, making them unusable and you'll get pissed off. I hope they have brass lag bolts. I'm giving up on t-nuts.

This method worked better for me

image-315828660.jpg

image-4041187443.jpg

Back