Keezer Collar - Sealing Wood That's Inside Keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moisture levels (humidity) are 100% in a chilled system in contact with outside air.

Your deck is in the open with open air flowing about it. If moisture gets to the wood here where we intend for it NOT to get, by default it is in a somewhat secluded area and not likely to dry well.

In outside air, sure. Don't leave the door open. Otherwise the average humidity of a fridge hovers around 40 - 50%.

Deck or fridge, sealer is sealer. If moisture does get on the wood it is likely to dry very fast because of the low humidity levels of the fridge.

A fridge may be about 52%, since it has the freezer area to lower the RH. Since we are talking about a freezer, the RH can be assumed to be 100% at all times; freezers do not have circulation. It will also provide a condensing surface if the collar is not sealed, since warm, moist air will come into contact with the cold surface.

What's in the way - CO2 stuff? Can you relo that to the middle or something?

Edit: Oh I see ... sorry coffee did not kick in yet. Chamfer won't be too bad. Just more work when you thought you were done.

Yep. [emoji20]

Chamfer might be too tricky to get straight. Might just lop off an inch or so. I cut the foam with a circular saw and got a wonderful edge. Oh well.

You can try a chamfer and then if it does not work, cut the rest off. I would be tempted to try a coping saw or something similar.

I was just reminded WHY I need to do this. I have a smaller freezer I use for a ferm chamber. I put a carboy out there to cold crash and it's too tall. I put a buncha planks across around the ferm lock and put a blanket over the top. Not pretty but it will hold till I get back from Austin.

OMG!!! I finished foil taping the collar, set it on the Keezer and went to put the lid on only to learn I didn't account for the protrusion in the lid in my foam board!!! [emoji37]

I'm going to have to try to slice a chamfer around the edge or lop off the top inch or so. OMG!!

View attachment 345691

I had the same issue. It's hard to tell from this picture but I just used a straight edge and blade and cut down 3/4" all the way around. Then I siliconed weather stripping on top of the insulation. This allowed the lid to close and the weather stripping provides a better sealer than the lid sitting on the foam board.

img_2159-67017.jpg

Back