Keezer Collar Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose1873

Reaction score
So I bought a new 7.0GE freezer and am building the collar out of 1x4 PVC board 2 boards thick with 1" foam sandwiched in between. It is actually quite lite and should work very well....but I am in need of a good method to attach the collar to the lid. I was looking for Bobby M's build since its a very similar design. (1x4 board attached to collar...)

also should i remove the weather stripping from the lid (how?) and attach it to the bottom of the collar or just cut it off and use something else?

as always...thanks in advance!
:mug:

I would leave the seal attached to the lid and use some rope type weatherstripping caulk to attach the collar to the freezer body.

This is the weather stripping caulk stuff: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/M-D-Building-Products-71522-Rope-Caulk-30-Feet-Gray-3439247.html

That's the way I did it and it works very well. The rope weather stripping caulk is also easy to remove if you should desire to do so later on down the road. There's at least a couple of other threads on this subject if you want to check out some other suggestions.

I don't want it attached to the body...It's a PITA and much easier to have the taps/beer lines all lift out of the way when adding/removing kegs. It is light and will not give the hinges any problem.

I know many people have done this...just not sure how...

I don't want it attached to the body...It's a PITA and much easier to have the taps/beer lines all lift out of the way when adding/removing kegs. It is light and will not give the hinges any problem.

I know many people have done this...just not sure how...

I disagree, but do it any way you like. Good luck with it!

I attached my lid to the collar. I used a thin piece of plywood (since I used that to replace the plastic cover on the inside of the lid) and used liquid nails to glue it to the lid, then more liquid nails to glue the collar to the plywood. I used a 1x8 collar and the hinges hold up great.

I agree with Goose1873 and Bobby M in that it is great to have it attached to the lid and not the body. It makes removing and adding kegs much easier.

Bobby thanks for he link. My freezer is a little different but i get the idea. Thoughts on just building a whole new lid? Seems like it might work well...

Back