Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothprodd

Reaction score
I just finished my keezer build. Let me know what you all think!

0by2a5Q.jpg

HUS8kql.jpg

Mr50SGK.jpg

NSzkXm9.jpg

Did you build a collar? I'm trying to figure out what you did to get such a deep lid with the nice seal on the bottom. Most Keezer's I have seen hinge the original lid on top of the collar, but yours seem to have the collar and lid hinged together to the freezer. Interesting and beautifully done.

Thank you very much! Basically I removed the factory lid and built a 1x10 collar with a 1x3 "lip" on the bottom which is where it seals against the freezer. I used foam insulation panels inside the collar to fill in the sides and the top. Slapped tile board on top of that, added 1x12 red oak around the outside of the collar and finished the top off with a 1/2" thick concrete countertop/tile that I poured. It turned out much better than I thought it would. :)

It doesn't look like you have had it hooked up yet, but do your taps shut off all of the way? Mine is very similar and even with the short black handles on the tap, they hit the protrusion from the top and wouldn't shut off completely. I had to remove them and make my own.

I haven't hooked it up yet but the taps do shut off completely. It's close, but there's a good 1/2" between the top of the handles and the trim. I may run into problems with bigger tap handles but I'm thinking I could always "modify" the trim near the handles if required. I'd like to try to cast some concrete tap handles at some point.

Your Kezzer looks great. I am hoping to do the same over the winter.
Now go and get those kegs filled. :mug:

Thank you BrooklynTom! I built this on the installment plan ;) so it took a little longer than expected. Yes, now the fun part begins... Filling and emptying those kegs! Cheers and good luck on your build!

I like the chains, somehow I don't think I've seen that before in a keezer build but it makes a lot of sense

The chains were more of a necessity because the lid is fairly heavy. Heavy enough that the stock hinges weren't strong enough to keep the lid from wanting to go all the way back and fold over.

Anyway you can go into some details on the base? I really like the skirted look matching the upper wood and stain. Ties things together.

Anyway you can go into some details on the base? I really like the skirted look matching the upper wood and stain. Ties things together.

Sure thing. I built a simple base with swiveling casters and 2x4s then used L brackets to secure the skirt. I think it turned out ok. I need to work on my 45degree joining skills though. ;) thanks!

Sure thing. I built a dolly with swiveling wheels as a base then used L brackets to secure the skirt. Turned out OK, but I need to work on my 45degree joining skills. 😉 Thanks!

Would it be possible to get some more pics of the collar, in particular the 1x3 "lip" and how those 3 pieces join together? Also the inside where the shanks go through? I really like the way this turned out for you.

Thanks!

*bump*

Would it be possible to get some more pics of the collar, in particular the 1x3 "lip" and how those 3 pieces join together? Also the inside where the shanks go through? I really like the way this turned out for you.

Thanks!

Back