Quantcast

Keezer Build

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

KUbrew

Reaction score
I thought I would post my keezer build since I went with a tower instead of a collar, which, from what I can tell, is in the minority on HBT. After much debate I decided to go with the tower, mainly because I love the look of the tower and space isn't an issue so I can open up my lid without hitting the wall with my tap handles.

Here's my CL freezer (already with the lid taken apart), a kenmore that will hold 6 kegs, a 20# tank and still have room for bottled beer and pint glasses.

I needed to reinforce the lid with some 1/2" wood in order for it to be sturdy enough to mount the tower onto.

I used gorilla glue to attach the wood and let it cure overnight. (The wife loved me using her mixer to hold the wood down!)

I used leftover wood to attach 3- 5"X8" pieces to where the towers will be mounted for a little extra support.

OP
K

KUbrew

Reaction score
Here's the lid with the wiring reattached and the insulation back in.

I don't have a hole driller so I decided to try my 1.5" wood drill bit and see if it would make it through the sheet metal on the lid. After going through 2 batteries on the drill it finally made it through!

And here's the finished product. The wife is working on some custom handles so hopefully I'll have the cheap ones gone in the next few days. I only have the capacity for 2 kegs right now but as time and money allows I'll be able to expand and put a two tap tower on each side in order to have 6 taps total.

Here's the inside, doesn't look like it from this pic, but it will hold 6 kegs and a 20# co2 tank.

Malric

Reaction score
How are the hinges holding up with the extra weight? I'm thinking about trying this route, except they filled my lid with the foam insulation :(

kegtoe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
malric, hinges will hold a lot wegiht - look at jesters keezer. Also you can check mine out - it has a lot of weight more that the hinges can hold in the upright but wiht the right support it should be fine. I spent 60 buck on 2 identical hinges to the 2 that were on my keezer but haven't found a need ot install them.

OP
K

KUbrew

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't see the posts until today. It's holding great with all the weight, those hinges are tough! I've now got 3 towers on it and 6 kegs full, much better than just 2 kegs. The next project is a nice drip tray, but it's hard to find something long enough to accommodate all 6 taps.

kegtoe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OP
K

KUbrew

Reaction score
My taps span about 30", I like the micromatic ones, but wow are they pricey. I've been looking into a DIY option, but I'm not much of a metal worker unfortunately.