Keezer Build Questions (most about the CO2 side)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
I am planning on starting my keezer build here in the next few weeks… I am currently in the planning stage. Most likely it will be a ~7 cubic foot chest freezer, with collar. Some thoughts and questions below in regards to the gas side of things, appreciate any feedback…

I would like to do 4 ball lock corny kegs, independently regulated for style (three of my own, one “guest” beer). I am planning to buy a taprite four product secondary regulator setup, installed inside the keezer on the back collar.

Now on the supply side of things (on the CO2 tank), I plan to get a dual body regulator. One line would supply the secondary regulators, the other line for purging kegs before filling, force carbing possibly, etc… Is this a wise decision? From what I understand this is not needed, but could be handy.

If for some reason I wanted to expand to (5) kegs at some point, would there be in any issue directing the output of one of the secondary regulators into a 2-way manifold (with shut-offs) to split between two kegs if they shared the same desired carbonation?

Some other misc info… I plan to go with (4x) perlick 630 SST faucets and accuflex bev-seal tubing for the wet side of things. I plan to use a A419 controller for holding temp (I already use one for my ferm chamber), and will install some type of small CPU type fan inside to move air around.

I am expecting to spend $1,000-1,500 into this build, although I do hope with careful shopping once I select all my final components I can be on the low end of that range if not below.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!

The plan for your secondaries sounds fine, it should be no problem to run multiple kegs off each one. I don't think you need the dual body primary, you could use a single primary that you keep at say 30 psi with a spliter - keep one line outside for purging and room temp carbing or whatever, then run the second line into the keezer to feed the secondaries. I do find it handy to have an extra line outside.

With that kind of budget, I'd recommend using John Guest fittings for the shanks and quick disconnects, as well as getting at least one spare CO2 tank.

If you have at least one spare CO2 tank, you don't need to worry about having a two body primary regulator, you can just get a second primary regulator, and use the spare tank for those duties. If you go this route, having three tanks in total would be best, in my mind.

To give a point of reference, I have two 50# tanks, and five 20# tanks. As long as I do my part, I will never run out of CO2 for any reason.

Hey, I undertook a similar build back in October, except I went with 6 taps instead of 4. I posted my experience here. I was really budget conscious, and I'm happy to share any info with you. For example, you can save a few bucks if you just buy multiple single secondary regulators and the nipples to string them together yourself.

I agree with gnef that you're probably better off with a 2nd tank dedicated to secondary duties. That's what I have, and I'm very happy with it. It seems that all my brewing, prepping activities happen outside or in the garage, while my keezer is in the dining room, so I'm happy to have tanks in both places. Plus I use one as a backup for the other just in case.

As far as the faucets go, I use Perlicks on my 2 kegerators at work and Vent-matics on my keezer at home, and I definitely prefer the Vent-matics.

To give a point of reference, I have two 50# tanks, and five 20# tanks. As long as I do my part, I will never run out of CO2 for any reason.

Cripes, 200 lbs of CO2 so that's like 400 x 5 gal kegs carbed and served? I think that would last me about 15+ years.

Haha. I learned early on the value of having multiple CO2 tanks. At one point I think I had 12 or 13 tanks in total, then realized that was excessive, and sold some.

In my mind, there is no excuse for running out of CO2. This is why I always recommend to brewers to have at least one spare.

I haven't bought CO2 in a while now, and have three of my 20# tanks that need to be refilled, and both of my 50# tanks are starting to get low, so I'll be spending some money to get them filled up soon enough!

In my mind, there is no excuse for running out of CO2. This is why I always recommend to brewers to have at least one spare.

Well I thought I was well stocked with my measly two 5lb spares. :drunk:

My 20 lb main tank lasts about a year and a half so either you brew a heck of a lot or we have different definitions of lasting "a while". :D

Appreciate all the info everyone! I will really look into getting two tanks, although at first I may go for a single 10# one and see how that does.

This morning I put in a very large order over at AIH for (4) new kegs, gas and beer line, connectors, the 4-way regulator, 650ss Perlick faucets, shanks and quick disconnects for the kegs.

I just need to get my CO2 tank, temp controller and my chest freezer (and build the collar)... Guy at my work has a side job at Sears Appliance or whatever and believes next week is some big sales on chest freezers, so I will likely pick it up then. I am thinking the 7 cubic foot models will be fine for me, as long as I can get 4-5 kegs in there. Ill be sure to double check dimensions in the store, though.

Looks like I will end up at right around $1500 for this build after its all said and done. Mostly because I decided to go all-new for the most part (especially the Italian kegs and new freezer). It will be worth it in the long-term I think. Not a fan of using craigslist and all that for stuff, otherwise I could have probably cut my overall expense down a few hundred at least.

Back