keezer build question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I'm planning on building a 4 tap keezer. I have everything I need except the appliance. I think I would prefer a refrigerator over a chest freezer. Are there any serious pitfalls that I may not be aware of using a fridge?

I just took off the lid of a freezer built a collar, reattached the collar and lid, and put my gas and tap hardware through the collar. a fridge is going to be more limiting in the number of kegs you can handle. I can fit 3 kegs into my 7 CU FT freezer and it work great. your gonna need a MONSTER fridge to fit 4 kegs into it. You are also generally keeping a larger empty area to temp, as kegs aren't that tall... It can also be tough to drill through the door, do to both depth and cracking plastic....

keezars are way simpler IMHO....

I just took off the lid of a freezer built a collar, reattached the collar and lid, and put my gas and tap hardware through the collar. a fridge is going to be more limiting in the number of kegs you can handle. I can fit 3 kegs into my 7 CU FT freezer and it work great. your gonna need a MONSTER fridge to fit 4 kegs into it. You are also generally keeping a larger empty area to temp, as kegs aren't that tall... It can also be tough to drill through the door, do to both depth and cracking plastic....

keezars are way simpler IMHO....

the reasons I think I would prefer a fridge:

With a freezer, I need to build a collar - don't with fridge
I also need another temp controller - don't with fridge
I would limit storage (for hops, ageing beer, grains, etc) in a freezer
with a fridge, I also get a little extra freezer space for meat and pizza
as you can see in the picture, 4 kegs fit nicely in my ferm chamber and it is tiny (like 12 cu ft)
since i am using 2.5 gallon kegs, i can build a shelf above those and have room for 4 more

all of these reasons are appealing, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
I'm seriously not trying to sound like a butthole but I couldn't figure out how to word this without sounding argumentative. Thanks for your input :mug:

unnamed.jpg

Refrigerator would be cheaper. You should be able to fit 4 corny kegs with your co2 outside the fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

the reasons I think I would prefer a fridge:

With a freezer, I need to build a collar - don't with fridge
I also need another temp controller - don't with fridge
I would limit storage (for hops, ageing beer, grains, etc) in a freezer
with a fridge, I also get a little extra freezer space for meat and pizza
as you can see in the picture, 4 kegs fit nicely in my ferm chamber and it is tiny (like 12 cu ft)
since i am using 2.5 gallon kegs, i can build a shelf above those and have room for 4 more

all of these reasons are appealing, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something.
I'm seriously not trying to sound like a butthole but I couldn't figure out how to word this without sounding argumentative. Thanks for your input :mug:

Not argumentative at all. It's a matter of opinion. :mug: If you are using it for additional storage it can be totally useful.

I think it's more of a preference than anything else. The most expensive part of my keezer was the controller and at that time the STC wasn't around.

If I did it over, or when my keezer dies I will consider a frig.

Got my keezer for 50.00 off craigslist and it's only 24" x 24" so it has a small foot print too.

If you like the idea of a frig then you should go with it or you might have regrets. No "real" advantage of either a frig or keezer in my mind.

Nostrovia!

A keezer could fit 4 corny kegs without a collar. You can fit a fermenter in there to cold crash with a collar. You can make it look like furniture and put it next to your favorite seat.

A kegerator can fit 4 corny kegs. Has the freezer space for your glasses and other stuff. Can be dressed up to look like furniture too, but I haven't seen one that I would put next to my favorite seat.

Latest posts

Back