Keezer build - insulation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seven9st_surfer

Reaction score
I just started a keezer build for my GE FCM7SUWW 7 cuft freezer. I'm building the collar out of solid red oak, and have a question about how people are installing the insulation. The collar thickness is 3/4", and I installed another 3/4" lip at the top, and I was planning on putting the 3/4" insulation under that so it'll be flush all the way down on the inside. The insulation I got is Perma R, the stuff with one side that looks like aluminum foil. I would like to have this side visible, but wasn't sure if that was the right way. Is there a difference in R value if it's installed one way or the other? The only info I could find about which way is right talks about the dead air space, which doesn't really apply here I don't think. Here are some teasers so you see what I'm talking about with the lip. I'll be posting some more pics as the build progresses. Thanks for any info on the insulation!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The reflective insulation is beneficial to minimize radiant heat transfer into a space. You really don't need to worry about this with a keezer and the thermal difference either way isn't going to make or break your build either. I would place the reflective side out if that is what you want especially since this will make for a cleaner looking install as well as protect the insulation somewhat.

Nice miter cuts by the way.

Thanks for the info. I didn't expect it to make much difference, just wanted to make sure. reflective side out it is, then.

And thanks for the miter compliment. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out since my miter saw only has a 7 inch reach (and I used 8 inch boards), so I had to resort to my circular saw. Thank God for good wood filler.

Yea i'd just keep the metal outward(into the freezer) for no other reason than if you have spills and or condensation it will be a bit easier to manage than "soggy" insulation.

Seriously though, that certainly looks precise. I did mine with a battery powered circular saw on a picnic table. Let's just say I'm glad I had some leftover corner trim.

How's the build coming along? Man that oak looks great even without stain.

Back