Keezer Build - Chest Freezer Search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drenet

Reaction score
Hi all. First post, so please forgive any breaches of etiquette.

I am looking to build a Keezer to replace my 11 year old Kegerator, and I'm having trouble locating a chest freezer of the appropriate size to start with. Most of the information I've been able to find is dated and the models no longer available.

I'm a homebrewer and general beer drinker in CO, so I'm looking for a freezer that can fit 6 kegs, in combination of ball lock (2-4) and Sankey 1/6 barrel, as well as both a CO2 and Nitro tank inside. Here's the rub: I've only got 40" width to work with (so, 37-38" max freezer width to allow for airflow), and I also have a height restriction so ideally the collar height will only be as tall as needed for the trunk line (4" or so). Depth is not a concern.

I did find this thread which specifies a model that fits all of my requirements perfectly, but it is no longer manufactured or available:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/magic-chef-hmcf9w2-9cf-9-5-collar-keezer.639423/

I also have looked through the Specs and Layouts thread, but any model listed there which even comes close is also retired.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/chest-freezer-specs-and-layouts.377518/

Has anyone come across a (still available) freezer I can purchase to build this out?

Thank you!

First, welcome!

Second, I think you're going to have a bit of difficulty meeting those requirements, especially the width limitation.

Here's the freezer that I'm using for my keezer:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-8-7-cu-ft-Manual-Chest-Freezer-White/999981792

It's 8.7 cu feet, 44" wide, and 24" front-to-back.

Here's a pic of the inside; on the far left is a pinlock-form-factor Torpedo keg; the rest are standard ball-lock kegs. I have a stubby (pinlock form factor) keg on the hump I use to supply water to the glass rinser.

I could get two of those stubby kegs on the hump, one hanging over.

That's it.

Unless you can find a freezer that is more square, i.e., deeper front to back, I can't see how you're going to find one that fits in a 38" width. And even then, maybe or maybe not will you be able to get six kegs in there plus a CO2 tank plus a nitro tank.

One thing you might consider depending on area outside the freezer is to keep the tanks (nitro and CO2) outside the freezer. I do that with mine, using a bulkhead shank to get the gas inside. You could do that with both, provided you have a place to put them.

What were the inside dimensions of your old kegerator--and was that what you had in the space before?

insidekeezer.jpg

keezerandmenu.jpg

Here's how I deal with secondary regulators and distributing the gas inside:

newkeezer3.jpg
newkeezer4.jpg

Here's the bulkhead shanks I use. You use swivel nuts to connect to them:

https://www.chicompany.net/flare-fi...-p-2263.html?zenid=d3mv8krcuqb6s49m10h2da3uk6

Last edited:
In theory, an Insignia 10.2 cf can fit 6 ball locks and a CO2 tank or 5 sankeys and a CO2 tank and leaves the hump free for other things.

But it’s 44” wide.

Your fundamental problem is math: 3 kegs @ 9” diameter = 27” wide. Add another ~9” for the hump and your at 36”. You’d need some thin walls for the exterior dimension to be under 40” wide.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this all night. I can’t point at a fridge for you but I can give you an aspect ratio to look for.

I sketched it out using sanke kegs and 5.25” diameter tanks. You’re looking for exterior dimensions around 38.9” wide x 32.7” deep. The width of the walls (3.7”) and compressor shelf (9”), I’ve assumed to be the same as mine. The kegs are packed in at a 60-degree offset.

21847586-8610-4649-A038-D9C55A56B63A.jpeg

That's about the idea Beernick. I looked at the magic chef post again and they only had 5 on the floor, which I'd be happy with. The biggest thing is the depth (front to back) - the magic chef is (was) 30ish" inches while almost everything else I can find is only 21, leaving something like 15 in the interior.

First, welcome!

Second, I think you're going to have a bit of difficulty meeting those requirements, especially the width limitation.

Here's the freezer that I'm using for my keezer:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frigidaire-8-7-cu-ft-Manual-Chest-Freezer-White/999981792

It's 8.7 cu feet, 44" wide, and 24" front-to-back.

Here's a pic of the inside; on the far left is a pinlock-form-factor Torpedo keg; the rest are standard ball-lock kegs. I have a stubby (pinlock form factor) keg on the hump I use to supply water to the glass rinser.

I could get two of those stubby kegs on the hump, one hanging over.

That's it.

Unless you can find a freezer that is more square, i.e., deeper front to back, I can't see how you're going to find one that fits in a 38" width. And even then, maybe or maybe not will you be able to get six kegs in there plus a CO2 tank plus a nitro tank.

One thing you might consider depending on area outside the freezer is to keep the tanks (nitro and CO2) outside the freezer. I do that with mine, using a bulkhead shank to get the gas inside. You could do that with both, provided you have a place to put them.

What were the inside dimensions of your old kegerator--and was that what you had in the space before?

View attachment 638491

View attachment 638492

Here's how I deal with secondary regulators and distributing the gas inside:

View attachment 638498 View attachment 638499

Here's the bulkhead shanks I use. You use swivel nuts to connect to them:

https://www.chicompany.net/flare-fi...-p-2263.html?zenid=d3mv8krcuqb6s49m10h2da3uk6

That's a nice build, Mongoose. My current kegerator interior is 22" wide and ~20" deep including some space inside the door, which is a bit concave. 3 Sankey Sixtels use every inch of it, and only fit because I raise up 2 of them to get on top of the door lip (thus the wood blocks). There is a hump in the back corner which I use for a not-really-glycol reservoir and pump right now to serve the trunk line, and I have the CO2 tank outside running through the side wall.

The Magic Chef referenced in the original post *was* more square, and that is what I'm looking for ideally (it was still available when I finished the basement, but since this kegerator was still doing well at the time I didn't pull the trigger). I also think that any of the older-style freezers with the hump in one corner (rather than a full side) might work out too, but I cannot find one even to measure and confirm.

Attachments

• IMG_20190805_085245.jpg
    IMG_20190805_085245.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
That's a nice build, Mongoose. My current kegerator interior is 22" wide and ~20" deep including some space inside the door, which is a bit concave. 3 Sankey Sixtels use every inch of it, and only fit because I raise up 2 of them to get on top of the door lip (thus the wood blocks). There is a hump in the back corner which I use for a not-really-glycol reservoir and pump right now to serve the trunk line, and I have the CO2 tank outside running through the side wall.

The Magic Chef referenced in the original post *was* more square, and that is what I'm looking for ideally (it was still available when I finished the basement, but since this kegerator was still doing well at the time I didn't pull the trigger). I also think that any of the older-style freezers with the hump in one corner (rather than a full side) might work out too, but I cannot find one even to measure and confirm.

I think that in the end, what you may need to do is get a kegerator refrigerator instead of a freezer. They are the right form factor for the space you have. I don't know much about buying them, but I know they're available.

Back