Keezer Build (alternative to fan cooling walls of freezer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
Been reading a lot of keezer build threads (for obvious reasons) and it seems like a lot of extra planning to install a fan that blows all across the outer walls of the freezer to ward against the overheating of the compressor. Would it not be acceptible just to drill some small 3/8" holes into the wood of the box that contains the freezer? Ventilation would probably be adequate, and if stained a darker color the holes would be barely visible. Thoughts? Just a lazy man's way of achieving the same end...

i just made a 2" air gap around the 3 sides of the freezer and left the back open

yeah I had thought of that, too, if for nothing else so the unit was closer to being flush with the wall and not sticking out so much. I saw someone on here, though, that theorized that would not be significant for airflow. That may not have been based on any practical experience, however, it could just have been their $.02 I kinda like that idea, as i don't really want holes in my furniture, I was just considering it.

i think it would depend on how large a freezer you are considering as well. Mine is fairly small so the air gap and the bottom not being totally enclosed either i dont see any issue. my compressor isnt running constantly, the freezer stays pretty insulated and holds temps

My 14.8 ft freezer says that it needs 3" air gaps on the sides and front. I built my keezer frame to allow for a 4" gap on the sides and about 4.5" gap on the front. I'm also turning the freezer around backwards in the box so the front is to the open back. Kinda cheating but it should eliminate any problems with heat exchange.

My 14.8 ft freezer says that it needs 3" air gaps on the sides and front. I built my keezer frame to allow for a 4" gap on the sides and about 4.5" gap on the front. I'm also turning the freezer around backwards in the box so the front is to the open back. Kinda cheating but it should eliminate any problems with heat exchange.

Sorry... please xplain what you mean by that.

Rather than making a gap I made thin wood framed copper panels and secured them tightly to the freezer skin. With the limited space in my house it was really the only way to make it work. It sheds heat just as well as it did unmodified.

Rather than making a gap I made thin wood framed copper panels and secured them tightly to the freezer skin. With the limited space in my house it was really the only way to make it work. It sheds heat just as well as it did unmodified.

Sweet, where'd you find the copper?

Back