Keezer barely cooling anymore - fix possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a GE chest freezer that I noticed was having trouble keeping my kegs at 40F, particularly in the summer. The sides were warm when running, but barely, and a far cry from the heat I feel from my other freezers. I checked the compressor yesterday and it sounded OK; there was a vibration when I touched it.

It seems to me like it may have lost refrigerant. Would there be any other possible causes to check before looking at recharging it?

I know these are considered disposable, and I've already replaced it with another unit, but I'd like to keep this going as a fermenter if possible, and at this rate, I'm not sure it could even do that without some remedy. Plus, I just like to be able to fix things.

Yes, chest freezer economics do not favor repair in many cases - like, anything involving refrigerant.
If the compressor won't keep running, often a "3 in 1" start relay/capacitor kit will resurrect the unit.
But, if the compressor is running freely, the odds are indeed that the refrigerant has bled down to a dysfunctional level.
Been there with a keezer (twice, actually), lived with that for months while building the replacement...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-to-recharge-a-freezer-or-fridge.682877/
Cheers! (and sorry for your impending loss...)

true, dt. I saw your thread before posting mine. I have a number of R134a cans, and the ability to solder, so I was going to get one of the solder-type valves just in case your leak was due to the valve choice. I've played around with the thought of getting a proper vacuum pump, so this would just be an excuse for something I could have used for quite some time now. Not much downside, plenty of upside, and the chance to learn a few things.

true, dt. I saw your thread before posting mine. I have a number of R134a cans, and the ability to solder, so I was going to get one of the solder-type valves just in case your leak was due to the valve choice. I've played around with the thought of getting a proper vacuum pump, so this would just be an excuse for something I could have used for quite some time now. Not much downside, plenty of upside, and the chance to learn a few things.

Hmmm. Yes, you will learn a few things.

IMO (and sure, it's just guessing and an opinion), get another freezer and use your saved time and money to learn to speak chinese, juggle, study origami, wallpaper your kitchen, etc.

fwiw, to be sure, the leak predated my bullet tap :)

A legit manifold gauge set first, then a pump, would enable full diagnostic capabilities and provide an educational opportunity.
But, let's face it, all that gear is unlikely to resurrect a unit with a breach in its tubing somewhere inside the carcass...

Cheers!

Back