keezer/bar build... upright??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
With a small chest freezer, is it possible to stand it on its side, so I could use the door as side opening instead of a coffin top? I know the space for kegs would reduce, but I am thinking it might make a better base to build a bar around if it is standing tall.

I wouldn't think so. Not sure what this does to the compressor, as well as the fact the heat often dissipates through the walls of the freezer. If there is condensation inside as well that may freeze/melt, it would leak through the door.

They do make freezers that are upright, like a fridge. You'd be better off converting one of those, but I believe they are more expensive, and there may not be as many older models on Craigslist.

I am not positive about freezers but with a fridge you should not tip it on it's side as it causes problems witht he compressor adn the freon. I know when you do tip a fridge on it's side you are supposed to wait several hours after you tip it on it's bottom again before turning it back on. I would think there wiould be the same issues with a freezer but I don't know the specifics of why you can't do it.

I know with refrigerators you aren't suppose to lay them down.... so my guess would be the same rule applies to freezers.... if they are the chest type then they should remain in that position.

I don't know that for sure.... it would just be my first guess. I'm sure someone with definitive knowledge will chime in :)

It won't work, as everyone else stated the compressor needs to be in the position the freezer is designed to work. If you tip the freezer the compressor will be sideways and the oil will get into the coolant lines.

You are better off buying a fridge without a freezer or an upright freezer with removable shelves.

Back