Keezer Bar Build for the O'Leathlobhair Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtlawlor

Reaction score
Saw some other threads on the subject -- so I thought I would document my build as well...

Started Dec 2010.

Concept: Keezer Bar build for a small basement. DIY Concert counter top, 2 tap draft tower, rough dimensions 42" high, 24" wide 52" long.

Materials:
$40 craigslist find - 5.5cu chest freezer - white, in good shape
$58 craigslist find - 2 x 5gal Corney Kegs
$52 Ranco temp controller, added 6ft ext. cord
-- pile of 2x4 lumber and OSB board for bar frame (free)
$159 2 Perlick 425SS tap w/ stainless steel column
$50 craigslist find - almost full CO2 tank with dual regulator - need splitter

Design Purpose:
I have a small half basement, and don't expect to have a need for more than 2 taps. Plus I don't mind bottles too. Would like a small bar with the ability for a couple ppl to sit around it. Wood should match current basement closets wood doors and color. Concert counter top will be a DIY experiment.

Looking good. I'm curious about how you will open the keezer lid with the tower locked in place by the countertops. I'm assuming the tower is connected to the keezer lid. Also, will you have a fan blowing cold air into the tower?

the drawing is a bit misleading at this point. The keezer will have the tower attached, and the drip tray will be removable and the bar will have a slot that the tower slides into.

I was planning on using some copper tubing around the beer lines to "conduct" the cold from the keezer... there are a couple threads on HBT about that.

well, that is the plan anyway....

Keezer Top with Draft tower installed.

in the basement... now for all the trim and finishing.

A little more work done this weekend... starting to look like a bar now!

Trim/Molding cost: ~$35
1/8" 4x8 wood laminate $12
Dark Walnut stain (on-hand)
DIY Drip tray: $8 metal heater vent + 1 plastic cutting board (not pictured)

Stained with trim

Stone tile and diy drip tray:

coming soon... the cement bar top.

thumbs_up.gif

looking forward to seeing the progress pics of the cement top build.

i'm also curious about what style you used for the sketchup drawing.

Great build! It is nice to see others builds, especially when I know I dont have the space for these 4-6 tap monsters! What is the space to the right of the freezer for?

Thanks for the comments.

1. Google Sketchup - style: "Scribble on Masonite - under Assorted Styles

2. Space to the right will be two lighted shelves for glasses. SCORED big this weekend at a local bar, with a dozen or so etched glasses!

Another picture update -- concrete counter done, kinda. Not super happy with the results so far, came out a little too rustic. Trying to decide upon a complete redo or modification to the current one. Planning on getting a couple bar stools to complete for a St. Patty's day party.

Bar Side View:

Full View:

Close up of the tower and drip tray:

Still need to do ...
Final coat of stain, then varnish
Figure out what to do with bar top
Foot rail

I was watching DIY last night and these guys put some type oil on their countertops that really made them pop. Only thing is that it was soapstone, so I'm not sure if you would get the same effect on Concrete. Maybe worth looking into though.

Looking Good!

Nice bar/kegerator build. An idea for you on your cement top.

Your stain might be too dark, but cement countertops with simply a polyurethane finish look sharp and will actually darken over time. Here's one I've worked on:
5511463272_261112ffb7.jpg

Just poly on the cement, no coloring, no stains, pretty simple really.

Thanks Hatrickwah - I took your advice. But I used a two-part epoxy clear coat for bartops not put on very heavy. I like it a lot more, although come summer time I may redo the top, but for now I am pretty happy with it.

We had a "bar openning" party last night with friends, I had a Orange Kolsch and a Irish Red on tap... for a bunch of non-beer drinkers, people really seemed to like the bar and beer! Good night had by all.

Here are a couple pics from last night!

Back