Keeping yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDRMaille

Reaction score
Hullo all!

So I brewed my very first batch a little over a week ago. Very excited about how well my ability to follow kit directionsvarious over into flavor... went with Brewer's Best English Brown Ale. Anywho, I will be bottling on Wed and wanted to know how long I could keep the yeast that I harvest from the troub. I expect that I would need at least a month (to gather enough bottles from friends to use in the next go-around) :D

Thanks for the help in advance!

It depends on how you gather and store it.. anywhere from a few days to a year to indefinite.

Search washing yeast for more info.

I have scooped yeast from trub into a sanitized mason jar using a sanitized scoop and used it 12 months later. I regularly use a popular strain of ale yeast this way with 1-3 months between uses. I fill the jars and seal them, store them in the bottom of the fridge. When I use them, I pull them out, pour off the liquid and pitch it.

Welcome to HBT.com and the hobby. it is a good time. dig in deep... read here, maybe at howtobrew.com and look for people local to you.

I was thinking in the two month range, so this is encouraging! Thanks!

Back