Keeping Temps Down for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewMasterRace

Enthusiastic Homebrewer
Reaction score
HI All,

I attempting to make a Hefeweizen recently, and to keep it cool, tried the swamp cooler. The problem that i ran into with this is that when i put the hef into it i dropped a 1 gallon water jug to keep the temps down. It fermented at what i think was 60* or so, but i wasn't able to amply tell as the water damaged by fermentation stick on thermometer i had on it. TLDR; it ended up tasting very clovey and i'm not sure i'll be able to drink it. I am tempted (due to the low cost of hefeweizens) to make another batch and ferment at room temperature in southern california (about 72-78*) to see what happens, but i'm not deadset on this.

I know temperature is important -- I wanted to bounce this idea off you guys of getting https://www.brewjacket.com/ -- The brew jacket immersion chiller.

I was wondering if any of you guys have given this a try? If so, what was your experience? Would you recommend?

Sidenote, i'd love to get a fridge and modify it, but unfortunately as i'm in a smaller apartment this wouldn't be an option.

Thank you for the input,

Hi, contrary to what a lot of people think, hefeweizens aren't really a beginner's style. In my experience there's a number of variables that can derail a hefe from being good. Pitch rates and mash schedule and water chemistry can make a big difference IMO. It took me 7 tries to get my hefe to the point where I was happy, and the first few were definitely tough to drink.

That said, "too clovey" is a classic symptom of fermenting at the low end of the range. So maybe it is as simple as fermenting a bit warmer or a bit more consistently.

I haven't used a brewjacket so can't comment. But one idea I'll throw at you is a $10 aquarium heater for your swamp cooler. These usually come with a thermostat, but they aren't very accurate so I'd suggest using a temp controller as well (Inkbird or STC-1000). Tape the probe to the side of the fermentor, aquarium hearer goes in the swamp cooler water. Put your fermentor somewhere a bit cold and let the temp controller bring the temperature up as required.

This approach works great for ales if your ambient temps aren't too hot. If ambient temps are hot, the system still works if you are willing to chuck a frozen bottle of ice into the swamp cooler 2-3 times a day for at least the first few days of fermentation.

Or just get the brewjacket :)

Hi, contrary to what a lot of people think, hefeweizens aren't really a beginner's style. In my experience there's a number of variables that can derail a hefe from being good. Pitch rates and mash schedule and water chemistry can make a big difference IMO. It took me 7 tries to get my hefe to the point where I was happy, and the first few were definitely tough to drink.

That said, "too clovey" is a classic symptom of fermenting at the low end of the range. So maybe it is as simple as fermenting a bit warmer or a bit more consistently.

I haven't used a brewjacket so can't comment. But one idea I'll throw at you is a $10 aquarium heater for your swamp cooler. These usually come with a thermostat, but they aren't very accurate so I'd suggest using a temp controller as well (Inkbird or STC-1000). Tape the probe to the side of the fermentor, aquarium hearer goes in the swamp cooler water. Put your fermentor somewhere a bit cold and let the temp controller bring the temperature up as required.

This approach works great for ales if your ambient temps aren't too hot. If ambient temps are hot, the system still works if you are willing to chuck a frozen bottle of ice into the swamp cooler 2-3 times a day for at least the first few days of fermentation.

Or just get the brewjacket :)
I always thought that hef's were supposed to be easier. I was thinking the problem was that they are more like lagers and very prone to temperature. I haven't had issues with Temperature when I just put the ice in the closet too, keeps it at 72°

As you probably already know, a prominent clove aroma and flavor is called for in hefewiesen. If you don't like the balance of it, then adjust and brew again as Sadu suggests. If you just don't like the clove aroma and flavor, then try a different style.

I haven't used a brewjacket, but as a fellow urban dweller in a smallish space, I've thought that the brewjacket would be worth a try. What I do now is brew at a homebrew club where we've built out brewery space including temp controlled ferm room and fridges. But if that option wasn't available, I'd definitely try the brewjacket.

A low-cost fix for your problem, though, is to use a floating thermometer in your swamp cooler. Less than $10.
image_517.jpg

Back