Keeping hydrated yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleJohnnys

Reaction score
Hey fellas, newbie here...just about to bottle some IMP. IPA that fermented very quickly and looks great but the second attempt, an Oktoberfest, was on it's 3rd day with no sign of yeast activity. We got it too cold(36) and were scared we killed them. So I hydrated some yeast and took it over to the in-laws to put it in and guess what? Yep, it started bubbling. My question is will the hydrated yeast be ok for a few days in the fridge until we can make another batch in the soon to be vacant carboy? It was in a sterile jar and boiled water then brought down to 90 degrees before adding yeast.

Thanks in advance :mug:

Yeah. It should be fine. I would put it in a fridge and pull it out a day before you brew. It really isn't any different than using/storing liquid yeast.

Cool, I did some digging about that yeast(Saflager 34/70) and it seems a lot of guys pitch two anyway. It's a 5 gallon batch of Oktoberfest with an OG about 1.065 so should I just throw it in anyway?

Nah, if its chugging along already pitching more yeast would not be beneficial.

It will be fine in the fridge as long as you're careful about keeping clean.

Happy brewing.

So, when cooled the lager was barely bubbling so we went ahead and threw it in....update when available..lol

Back