keeping freezer outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I have my freezer sitting outsode with a temperature controller. I have it set to 40 degrees F right now since all I have it is my yeast, hops, and empty cornies. We just got a cold spike last week dipping below freezing. Do I need to worry about the outside temp affecting the inside temp of the freezer and it possibly freezing?

I keep my big kegerator outside and have had no problems with freezing beer. I think it's insulated enough to keep it from getting too cold. It doesn't stay below freezing for very long here in GA though. If you think it may be a problem though there is a trick that you can use to keep it from freezing. It's the same thing you may do to keep your pipes from freezing, keep the beer flowing!

I have my kegarator inside, I'm more worried about my yeast freezing.

Big difference between freezing in Georgia and Utah, even overnight. You might consider putting a heat strip (like those used to protect outside pipes) inside the freezer.

when it threatens to freeze you can hook up a light bulb(incadescent) to your temp controller to heat the inside of the freezer:ban:

Here's my heater. A 25 watt small bathroom vanity incandescant light bulb plugged into a socket with an AC plug which connects to an extention cord. I taped it to the lid of the freezer with a piece of duct tape. When closed, it hangs down near the compressor hump. Works like a champ when our temps here in Austin dipped into the 20's. Total cost with cord, bulb, & socket was around 6 bucks.

FermenterHeater.jpg

So do you just leave the bulb on all the time and let the temp controller turn the freezer on/off?

Back