keeping freezer outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I have my freezer sitting outsode with a temperature controller. I have it set to 40 degrees F right now since all I have it is my yeast, hops, and empty cornies. We just got a cold spike last week dipping below freezing. Do I need to worry about the outside temp affecting the inside temp of the freezer and it possibly freezing?

gaffrig24

Reaction score
I keep my big kegerator outside and have had no problems with freezing beer. I think it's insulated enough to keep it from getting too cold. It doesn't stay below freezing for very long here in GA though. If you think it may be a problem though there is a trick that you can use to keep it from freezing. It's the same thing you may do to keep your pipes from freezing, keep the beer flowing!

OP
Bytor1100

Bytor1100

Reaction score
I have my kegarator inside, I'm more worried about my yeast freezing.

david_42

Reaction score
Big difference between freezing in Georgia and Utah, even overnight. You might consider putting a heat strip (like those used to protect outside pipes) inside the freezer.

eriktlupus

Reaction score
when it threatens to freeze you can hook up a light bulb(incadescent) to your temp controller to heat the inside of the freezer:ban:

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
When it's that cold you can unplug your freezer.

Here in IL this last winter the garage ambient temp lowered the temp inside the freezer to 31F even with a temperature controller set on 40.

EdWort

Reaction score
Here's my heater. A 25 watt small bathroom vanity incandescant light bulb plugged into a socket with an AC plug which connects to an extention cord. I taped it to the lid of the freezer with a piece of duct tape. When closed, it hangs down near the compressor hump. Works like a champ when our temps here in Austin dipped into the 20's. Total cost with cord, bulb, & socket was around 6 bucks.

OP
Bytor1100

Bytor1100

Reaction score
So do you just leave the bulb on all the time and let the temp controller turn the freezer on/off?

Latest posts