keeping co2 on keg for party??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EcuPirate07

Beer is a food group
Reaction score
So I know most people keep about 2psi on their keg at all times, but whats the main reason for doing this? Foam? One reason im asking is b/c if I take my homebrew to a cookout do I have to take the co2 with me or can I just carb the beer and take the co2 off and take it to a party and have it work just like a keg of bud light or something of that nature?:drunk:

Thanks for the help

If you don't want to haul your co2 tank with you, they sell those little "gun" like things that they call a co2 charger or something like that. You can use them to push the beer out of the keg. They won't carbonate the beer, but you can give it a shot to push out the already carbonated beer. I've used one a few times, and it works pretty well!

If you don't want to haul your co2 tank with you, they sell those little "gun" like things that they call a co2 charger or something like that. You can use them to push the beer out of the keg. They won't carbonate the beer, but you can give it a shot to push out the already carbonated beer. I've used one a few times, and it works pretty well!

so pretty much your saying yes it needs to stay hooked up to the CO2. Thanks

so pretty much your saying yes it needs to stay hooked up to the CO2. Thanks

Yup. leave it connected to co2. Avoid using a hand pump unless you're going to finish the keg since you don't want all that oxygen in there that'll spoil the beer.

The gas to dispense the beer has to come from somewhere. If you don't keep adding CO2, the beer has to out-gas. That means flatter beer.

I have one of those "gun things". It works OK, but READ THE DIRECTIONS. DO NOT connect the gun to the cornie connector, unless the connector is on the keg. Trust me, I still have a black fingernail from an "incident".

Also, only tap the trigger, or you will get too much gas. There is no regulator.

I am gathering the parts to use a small paintball CO2 tank with regulator for portable dispensing, with the gun as a backup.

Back