Keeping beer glasses in freezer/kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
I have a set of Riedel beer glasses and was wondering if anyone here keeps these sorts of things in the freezer. I have an upright (freezer on top) converted kegerator, and brackets to hang the glasses on. Anyone tried puting the brackets in the freezer to hang the glasses? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks, happy brewing :mug:

I have a set of Riedel beer glasses and was wondering if anyone here keeps these sorts of things in the freezer. I have an upright (freezer on top) converted kegerator, and brackets to hang the glasses on. Anyone tried puting the brackets in the freezer to hang the glasses? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks, happy brewing :mug:

Why? Cold beer has less flavor. I like my beers 45-55 degrees F.

I used to drink my beer from frozen glasses/mugs. Then I started brewing my own. After having one of my earlier batches (the second I believe) from a frozen glass, and not caring for it early, only to have it become much better as it warmed up I decided room temp glasses are the way to go.

At the most, if the glass is really warm (such as over 85-90F) I'll run it (upside down) under cold/cool tap water to cool it a bit. Let it dry, or dry it off, then pour the home brew into it. I have yet to have a brew that isn't excellent this way. Far better than when you use an ice cold glass.

Go for it. I keep a few pint glasses in the freezer. I sometimes pour into room temp glasses. Some days I drink from the bottle yeast and all. If you enjoy frosted glasses have at it.

I like the frosted ones on a hot day or when I am very thirsty. I find the beer is very thirst quenching this way. I obviously wont do that with full bodied beers, but lighter beers. I especially love bully wheat this way with a lemon. Even better is when you get some ice floaties in your glass.

I like them cold on certain beers, and room temp for others. The bar I visit downtown thinks I'm nuts for not wanting a frozen mug and a slice of orange for my Oberon (Although, to be fair, it's not BAD that way, but I can still get more flavor with it in a room temp glass).

If you like cold glasses, do it. Might want to make sure you don't screw into anything important, like a gas line...

I use frosted for certain corn based BMC type beers that are left at our house. For home brew or anything that is actually tasty, I use room temp glasses.

The only real advantage to cold glasses is they foam less when pulling a pint from the keg. Still not worth it though.

At restaraunts I ask for a non-chilled glass. You will too.;)

The first time you are too impatient to wait for a brew to cool down and drink one semi warm. Try it.

Back