Keeping a keezer dry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I have had my keezer a few months now and no matter what I do it always has significant condensation every time I open it. Right now I am still using cobra taps since I haven't had a chance to build the keezer bar I want to so I open it whenever I want a beer, but even after being gone 5 days there was still condensation within the keezer.

Every so often I pull the kegs out and clean the keezer to prevent any growth. I also have a 10.5oz DampRid container sitting on the keezer hump. It seems to help, but barely.

Is there anything I can do to help this problem? I really don't like cleaning out the keezer every two weeks, but that seems to be my best bet in effort to prevent mold/mildew growth caused by such a damp environment.

heard a lot of good hings about these for condensation in keezers and fermenters Eva Dry

I have never used one though

Last edited by a moderator:
I have basically the same setup as the OP and I've been using a gigantic damp rid container from HD with success, but not reusable and is $10 a pop. I ordered the eva-dry unit posted above a few days ago. After I've used it for a while I could post a review for everyone if interested.

I have basically the same setup as the OP and I've been using a gigantic damp rid container from HD with success, but not reusable and is $10 a pop. I ordered the eva-dry unit posted above a few days ago. After I've used it for a while I could post a review for everyone if interested.

Don't buy refills for the rid damp .. its main ingredient if only one is pellet Calcium chloride . 50 lbs bags are under 30 $

heard a lot of good hings about these for condensation in keezers and fermenters Eva Dry

I have never used one though

Found this in the review section:
3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, not enough for my application, January 9, 2009
By Kyle Long "Homebrewer" (Washington state) - See all my reviews
Filled with standard chemical dehydrating material (color changing silca) this product helps, but does not eliminate the moisture that builds up in my chest freezer (13 cubic feet) that I use for serving homebrew. I use an external temp. controller to hold the temp at 32F for lagering (now sweating) or 50F for serving ales (lots of sweating).

So I still have to wipe the moisture up with a cloth, but not as frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems to be way more positive than negative review

5 out of 5 good buy for kegerator, January 6, 2009
By J. Smodey - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
I purchased this item to use in a freezer i converted to store kegged beer. Moisture is an issue due that even though the freezer is now maintaining only a 40 degree temperature, the inside wall still freezes in spots when the compressor turns on. Condensate would freeze and then melt, dripping into the bottom of the freezer. Moisture promotes mold and mildew which is not good when you're dealing with beer. When i placed the Eva-dry dehumidifier inside the freezer, this problem stopped occurring altogether. It's been a month and a half and i still haven't had to "renew" the humidifier. I'm not sure how well this item would play out in a bigger area, but in enclosed spaces it works like a charm!

Back