Keep your carboy cool *PICS*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
All it takes is a cheap aquarium pump ($10), a peice of hose, and a zippy strip. Since I live in the desert, my house is normally 80F in the summer.

Without a fan, this knocks 10 degrees off the temp. With a fan blowing on it, I can get the temp down to about 63, knocking about 17 degrees off!

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

And for all you homebrew pervs out there, I undressed her a little for you. Yeah..she's one sexy looking little heffe. Bauw-chicka-baw-wauw.
beer3.jpg

Here is mine. I will not be pumping the water on this one. I just put here in the water and it should stay around 73 degrees F. Perfect for the banana flavors in a hefe

0705071652.jpg

anthrobe said:
Here is mine. I will not be pumping the water on this one. I just put here in the water and it should stay around 73 degrees F. Perfect for the banana flavors in a hefe

Hah! That cover is perfect.

Oh, yeah - well, I've got DOUBLE the capacity!

temp_controller.JPG

The idea of using a towel + pump to cool is a great ideal. I can keep mine at the temp I want, but I have to add ice and the temperature is probably not as stable as yours.

I'll have to try the towle on my next batch. I think I will be able to keeo my temps lower that way. The way I'm doing it now keeps me right about 72*-74*. I always have 6 frozen water bottles at any given time, so I just alternate them to regulate the temp.

4p9xuyr.jpg

Just a precaution. Brewing is kid of new in my house. We have a new baby and family coming to visit all the time. Someone could inadvertently move it while cleaning or something of the like...or worse:

"You had this bucket of rotten, foamy brown water. Don't worry I cleaned it out for you."

Not takin any chances!:ban:

talleymonster said:
"You had this bucket of rotten, foamy brown water. Don't worry I cleaned it out for you."

Not takin any chances!:ban:

ZOMFG that would be teh suck!

I just keep a few gallon jugs (I had alot of them after all the apple juice from 2 batches of apfelwein) full of water in the freezer. When I need to cool it down and my lagerator is already inhabited, I just put the drain stopper in the util sink, fill it halfway with water, and drop in a frozen jug or two. Works like a charm.

Only problem is when SWMBO needs to use the sink. I came home one day to find the carboy on the floor---safely---but it worries me that she's lugging a full 6.5 gallon glass carboy around by herself. Could spell disaster for my sweetheart...and my wife, too ;)

Back