Keep adding wort to yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I've had a stirplate going with the dregs of a 6 pack of Bells Amber yeast going for a couple weeks now. I just added about 2 more cups of wort last night to bring the flask to a little over 1200mL of liquid. We are brewing Saturday. Can I add more wort tonight and then refrigerate tomorrow night to cold crash the yeast so I can use it on Saturday night after brew day? Basically, does adding any more wort at this time so close to brew day give the yeast enough time to keep multiplying by the time I cold crash tomorrow night?

We are doing a 5 gallon batch of a two hearted clone all grain.

Thanks

It shouldnt be a problem at all, assuming your yeast is viable they should ferment through a small amount of wort relatively quickly. Is there a certain cell count you are trying to reach with this last feeding or are you just eyeballing it and feel you need more growth?

No idea really, new to the yeast growing here. It has been in suspension for about 2 weeks so I dont know how much I have. I figure I will know Saturday morning after cold crashing on Friday night. Not really sure how to measure the amount.

Turn the stir plate off for about 4 hours so the yeast can begin to settle. That will give you an idea of how much yeast you have. Then give it a good shake. If a tall krausen forms your yeast is still eating.

How long will it take the krausen to form after the shake?

Well, Im not sure how many steps you have done and when building up from dregs its a rough approximation anyway. What most of us use is http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html when building starters and measuring the slurry.

But its tough to say what youve got here, you could crash the starter, decant and see what volume of slurry you have. Then go to the repitch from slurry tab, set the date to today and eye ball it. Unless youre doing a big beer then you probably have enough if youve stepped it up to 1200ml but it wouldnt hurt to feed it a little more wort.

I would err on the side of more yeast growth.

If the yeast is still eating by the time I need to cold crash, will it hurt anything?

You could do that, make sure it is clean and sanitized. Honestly, its probably fine so long as the starter smells good. You probably have at least 100ml of slurry at the bottom.

Say for instance it says to use 87mL of slurry. Do I measure this by pouring the slurry into a measuring cup? By slurry, is this referring to only the white yeast at the bottom after cold crashing or settling (no liquid)?

Thanks

Take a pint jelly jar and mark it in 25ml increments. Pyrex measuring cups have both systems marked on them. It is pretty close, but good enough to know approximately where you are. After the yeast has been chilled and settled to the bottom of your starter container, pour off most of the wort. Leave just enough to put the yeast back into suspension. Pour this in the calibrated jelly jar. Add cooled, boiled water to the top off to help prevent contamination.

I just got home and checked the starter. When I first started the starter after adding the wort the next day I checked it and it had foamed up like the yeast was eating and multiplying. After the addition last night it didnt foam up like it did before. Will it not foam after a certain amount of wort additions?

Back