Kay 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
Has anybody used Kay 5 sanitizer? It's got sodium dichloro s triazinetrione dihydrate 6%

I’m surprised no one has replied to this! I just came across this product and was wondering the same as the original poster.

0BE25030-0D58-4351-8F2A-B5C8376FA669.jpeg

It looks like a commercial dishwasher powder. The big clue in the SDS is the fair bit of sodium carbonate and the chlorine biocide. It’s probably similarly caustic as PBW. But PBW isn’t chlorine based. I have a plastic fermenter and try to avoid picking up chlorine odor.

Those all seem like legit explanations. I figured as much that it was for sanitizing commercial equipment. The person selling this had mentioned putting in one tab in a spray bottle to spay utensils and thought “hey maybe I can use this too”. Was not sure if it was a “no rinse” product or if it was too high a concentration to use safely for brewing.

A chlorinated cleaner may not be best for use on stainless steel. I know chlorine in prolonged contact can damage ss...

Cheers!

A chlorinated cleaner may not be best for use on stainless steel. I know chlorine in prolonged contact can damage ss...

Cheers!

Ya I’ve had that happen in the past with bleach damaging some stainless steel utensils back when I first started brewing.

Not only that, chlorine can cause havoc with your beer, producing chlorophenols, which even in minute quantities cause a bandaid smell and taste.
If using this chlorinated sanitizer in a brewing environment, it certainly needs to be rinsed off before exposing it to wort or beer.

For ease of use, I'd stick to Starsan or Iodine based sanitizers.

Back