Kasteel Pumpkin clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

amcclai7

Reaction score
http://www.globalbeer.com/belgian-beer/seasonal-fall-kasteel-ingelmunster-pumpkin

This is BY FAR! the best pumpkin beer I have ever had. I tastes like biting into roasted pumpkin flesh. The website claims they use cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves but I didn't taste them at all and that is a good thing! I've never been a big fan of pumpkin beers b/c very few have any pumpkin flavor, they're just all spice. This one however is phenomenal!

Would anyone here know how we could even attempt to clone this? It is 8.5% and it says it uses kasteel triple as the base. Thats a good start but kasteel triple is 11%?! So perhaps they brewed a low abv beer that was almost entirely pumpkin and then blended it with their triple??? Also, I'm betting they used pumpkin in the mash and also in the fermentor. There is simply no way that much pumpkin flavor could come from simply mashing.
If I had to brew it now I would probably brew a beer as close as I could to Kasteel Triple and add 3-4 lbs of pumpkin to the mash and 3-4 more lbs to the secondary (roasted) I would add the afore mentioned spices but I would make sure they were very, very restrained. Any thoughts?

I just had it on tap at a bar in Knoxville, Tn so its probably making the rounds. If you see it, order yourself a pint and you'll be on this thread too trying to figure it out.

Psustruct

Reaction score
I had it last fall as well. Now I am trying to call around to see who has it again. A local microbrewery has a pumpkin ale that is 70% there. My mission this season is to find it and share my love for it.

Altoona, PA