Karo syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So me and the wife made some pecan pie and we used some karo syrup. Now of coarse me being a home brewer I saw the karo and immediately thought of a fermentable.

So I wanted to make a pecan pie porter and thought this syrup might give me an edge. So I'm wondering if anyone had used it. If so what I can expect from this stuff. Flavor wise and abv wise.

Thanks

I think some of the karo syrups have some vanilla added to them. Otherwise I think its just water, and glucose from corn starch. It will probably ferment out like honey I would guess (if I'm not insane, glucose is a monosacharide, honey is most fructose which is also a monosacharide) so presumably they would ferment out the same.

Ya the karo dark corn syrup has a great flavor when tasted alone. It's the main ingredient in pecan pie other than pecans so I thought it would be perfect

To me, Snowdrift Vanilla Porter from Leininkugel's tastes like it is finished with Karo.

I don't mean that in a good way.

Back