Kalashnikov Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietandsimple

Reaction score
I was shopping at my local bulk food store and found this 5.25 gal container. It comes equipped with a handy place to attach a 3/8 inch blowoff tube, and a spigot that sits almost an inch off of the floor of the fermenter. I will have to sanitize this one very well, but since it's HDPE I'm comfortable fermenting in it. I took a picture of the HDPE 2 symbol on the bottom of the container. I have fermented in buckets, carboys, and even a sanitized Sterilite container with a non-airtight lid. I wish that I would have found this thing years ago. It ran me less than six dollars with the spigot (it was sold separately).

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0193.jpg

It's good to see that the valve can be taken apart and cleaned. That would be my only worry. Also, if you can, maybe put it an angle and use it as a kind of conical.

Strikes me this may be a bit difficult to clean (same as a carboy, which is why I always use wide-mouth demi-john) but other than that it looks good!

looks like a standard 5 gal water container. the screw off lid has an insert with 3/4 npt threads that you can open up and thread in a valve or pipe

Back