Kaiser's Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
don't ask questions, just brew it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f63/kaiser-alt-49953/

I was fortunate to make a trip to Dusseldorf last year for a trade show. The altbier flowed freely from every tap in town.

This style can hold it's own in any tasting. I should say this is an awesome beer and leave it at that. But, this is an awesome session beer as well.

A short train ride will take you from Dusseldorf to Cologne. Cologne is, of course, familiar to us as the home of the kolsch style.

Kolsch is a popular style here at HBT. For my taste buds, alt kicks kolsch's ass. Like kolsch, altbier is an ale that can pass as a lager.

We brewed a 25 gallon batch. This style involves a decoction. Kaiser's video on this is an awesome tutorial.

This is easily the best beer I have brewed. Granted, my experience is negligible compared to some of our HBT comrades. The credit goes to the style itself and Kaiser's brilliant recipe, which we did our best to follow, right down to the water formula.

Having said all of this, I must confess that our beer was close, but not quite on target. The yeast we used was IWLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast. I believe 036 would have been the right choice, but but was not available when we were ready to brew.

I sincerely urge you to try this style, it kicks arse!!

Did i say this is an awesome session beer?

Cheers to Kaiser!!

Back