Kaffir lime wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
Howdy. I was putting together a wheat beer and remembered I have a kaffir lime tree in a pot in my yard.

Has anyone brewed with kaffir lime leaves?

Any suggestions on how to put this together?

Gordie

I did a saison long ago with kaffir lime leaves but didn't really taste them at all. The would probably go well with a ligtly hopped clean wheat beer. I would suggest maybe steeping a dozen or so leaves in near boiling water, then dumping the whole kit and kaboodle into the secondary with the beer.

Hey Gordie, and greetings from Petaluma.

I've been thinking about using these as well, especially after the success of a beer I made which included some lemon zest. I might consider doing something with lemongrass too. I'm hoping we're going to have weather like this all summer and I want to keep one or two lighter beers around.

I've read what people say about using the kaffir lime leaves and it seems like most people go with somewhere around 5 leaves for a five gallon batch. You might want to use more if you're hopping more heavily.

Do y'all think the leaves in the secondary or the leaves at the end of the boil will yield a better clean lime flavor?

Back