KAB4 burner issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon87

Reaction score
So i go to brew this morning, just swapped 2 propane tanks yesterday so should be good to go. I hook 1 up this morning and cant get it to light, i cant hear any gas coming out. I try the 2nd one, it works but only for about 30 secs. I get a known good tank from a friend, burner fires right up but only stays lit for a couple of minutes. I unhook the regulator from the burner and open the propane tank, gas is flowing. I reconnect and try to light. It works but as soon as I try to open the tank all the way it dies out. I am mashing right now, I had to leave the tank with just the initial 1 turn open and open the regulator way up to keep a flame going. Hopefully i can make it thru the boil. Does this sound like a bad regulator? I know this tank is good, my buddy just.cooked with it last night. Any thoughts?

If you are not using a POL type regulator it sounds like the Excess Flow Preventer check valve inside the plastic ACME nut is triggering which greatly decreases gas flow. This can happen if the regulator is opened before the cylinder valve.

Try starting with the tank valve closed and the regulator dialed down to zero, then slowly open the tank valve to a couple of turns, then slowly open the regulator enough to light the burner. Then control the burner output with the regulator - not the tank valve.

If you do all that but still end up with a wimpy flame I would suspect the ACME nut has failed...

Cheers!

@day_trippr that is how i would normally operate the burner. Open tank valve 1 turn, open regulator until i hear gas, light burner, open tank rest of the way and control flame with regulator and air intake.
Following these steps after its lit and i open the tank valve the rest of the way, it dies. I was able to complete my brew day keeping the tank valve open only the 1 turn.
Would replacing the regulator and hose assembly solve my issue? Thanks

Back