Kab4 Banjo Burner vs SQ-14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punk_rockin2001

Reaction score
Over new years I decided to buy a new burner. I narrowed it down to the Kab4 and ordered it. Then I changed my mind, cancelled the order, and went with the SQ-14. Today the UPS man shows up with.. both burners. After way too long on hold I was told that they couldn't cancel the order before it was shipped blah blah blah. So now I have both of these awesome burners sitting in my living room and I just can't decide now!!

My main reasons for not wanting to keep the KAB4 is that it seems I have to do a few mods to it to get the full potential out if it. It has issues with the regulator freezing, and it probably will use too much gas. Are all of those things true?

But the Tim Allen in me really wants to fire it up!

Which one should I keep???

Ok a few more specific questions:

Will a 10psi hose stop the banjo burner from making the tank freeze?

What kind of efficiency can I expect from one tank with the banjo burner?

Will a larger 40lb tank or more solve the freezing problem?

I run a pair of BG14 burners on separate 20 lb tanks, and I've never had a tank freezing problem. Then again, I don't run them wide open...

Cheers!

What size batches/kettle are you using? I have the SQ-14 and it has more than enough power to boil 5 gal quickly. At hot break you really have to watch it and turn it way down. The decision making behind that as opposed to the banjo was just more efficient use of fuel rather than "throw as much heat as you can at the kettle" method :)

Both are pretty great tho. 'Gratz!

I run a pair of BG14 burners on separate 20 lb tanks, and I've never had a tank freezing problem. Then again, I don't run them wide open...

Cheers!

Are you using the 30psi regulator? How many batches do you get per tank? And do you use the tanks for sparge, etc., or just boils?

What size batches/kettle are you using? I have the SQ-14 and it has more than enough power to boil 5 gal quickly. At hot break you really have to watch it and turn it way down. The decision making behind that as opposed to the banjo was just more efficient use of fuel rather than "throw as much heat as you can at the kettle" method :)

Both are pretty great tho. 'Gratz!

I am upgrading my burner and pot, and just bought a 15gal pot. I only do 5 gal batches so far, but wanted the ability to grow. I also like to do really big beers and start w/8-9 gal sometimes.

I use the adjustable 0-10 psi regulators that came with the burners. One fires the HLT the other the BK. I usually squeeze 6 sessions out of the two tanks, maybe one less session during the winter...

Cheers!

I use the adjustable 0-10 psi regulators that came with the burners. One fires the HLT the other the BK. I usually squeeze 6 sessions out of the two tanks, maybe one less session during the winter...

Cheers!

Interesting. I searched for a while to find that burner w/a 10psi hose and the only one I found is the Blichmann Burner. So I think you are confirming the online speculation that the 30psi reg. is simply too powerful for this burner. Unfortunately mine has the 30psi reg and will likely be returned. Thanks for the info! :mug:

Ok well after wayyyy too much deliberation, I decided to keep the banjo burner. :rockin: Just did a test fire today and discovered that it needs a wind cover in a bad bad way. Even 2 feet inside my garage w/very minimal wind it would get blown out like nothing. Ugh, thats annoying. So off to the store to buy some sheet metal I go! Otherwise I think this is going going to be an excellent buy!

The wind block worked perfectly and I did a brew w/this burner the other day. I had a little trouble getting a good fire for the initial boil, but after it was rolling I couldn't believe how much I could turn it down and maintain a very violent boil. And it was 19 degrees out at the time! I kept a good watch on the tank and pot and never had the regulator freeze up on me. All in all I'm very pleased with the decision. :mug:

Just curious, has anyone ever tried swapping the KAB4 regulator to a 10psi one, if that's the apparent difference between it and the blichmann? I'm really leaning towards picking some of these up since they are cheaper, and if I can get similar efficiency out of them that would a win too :)

KAB4 - 30 lb regulator. I get three 10 gallon batches, including mash water, sparge water, and boiling from one 5 gallon bottle. I get ice on the tank but have never had a problem with it.

Awesome, not bad. Keggle, or kettle? I'm planning to put 82qt Bayou Classic kettles on mine and am also debating if I'll need to modify them to sit closer as I've seen some do, but haven't seen any references for doing it to kettles (I realize these were designed for use with the kettles, but that doesn't always mean its the best fit)

Interesting. I searched for a while to find that burner w/a 10psi hose and the only one I found is the Blichmann Burner. So I think you are confirming the online speculation that the 30psi reg. is simply too powerful for this burner. Unfortunately mine has the 30psi reg and will likely be returned. Thanks for the info! :mug:

It's not that the 30psi reg is too much for the burner, it's that the 30psi reg can draw enough gas to cause the valve on small 20# propane tanks to freeze. It has very little to do with the burner or other device being supplied, and more to do with the volume of gas leaving the tank. The simple solution is to not open the regulator all the way. Unless you're brewing 1bbl or larger batches, you shouldn't need to open it that far anyways.

Awesome, not bad. Keggle, or kettle? I'm planning to put 82qt Bayou Classic kettles on mine and am also debating if I'll need to modify them to sit closer as I've seen some do, but haven't seen any references for doing it to kettles (I realize these were designed for use with the kettles, but that doesn't always mean its the best fit)

I have keggles. The KBA4 was easy to modify, I cut some of metal bar that the keggle sits on away, in return the keggle sits closer and has 4 metal posts on the outside of the keggle to hold if from slipping off.

Back