Ka-Boom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
Opened the fridge the next day to check on beer. :eek: Never had a problem before so never really gave it much thought. Lesson learned the hard way. All Fermentors get blow off tubes now. It was a double stout.

pa050164.jpg

After clean up and modifications
pa050166.jpg

Now....

Everyone please note how ks_medic followed proper procedure. He took pictures of the aftermath FIRST and THEN he cleaned it up!

Nicely done!

From double stout to double mess! Glad that lesson wasn't any worse for you...

-Tripod

Now....

Everyone please note how ks_medic followed proper procedure. He took pictures of the aftermath FIRST and THEN he cleaned it up!

Nicely done!

Yes, way to keep your head straight. Pics then cleanup :rockin:

I'm glad you rearranged the shelving also. Much more organized. ;)

yeah figured it was as good a time as any to reorganize. the weight of the 2 caryboys caused the bottom shelf to crack a little and slant inward.
I always use fermcap-s in my fermentation bottle. So i've never worried about blow off. apparently I didn't add enough to this one.

Just a couple thoughts from my own experience:

First, I'd recommend getting a blowoff tube that's the same diameter as the opening of the carboy, so you don't have to mess with a stopper, and so the blowoff has more room. Your little blowoff tube could get clogged with foam as easily as an airlock. I did a high-gravity beer once where the krausen pushed halfway into the blowoff tube. Very messy.

Second, it appears that the milk jug that the tube goes to is capped. If you do this, drill holes in the top of the jug (not the cap) so the CO2 can vent out of the jug. Otherwise, the pressure could build up and rupture your jug. Again, messy.

Feel free to do what you will, but in my humble opinion, a couple extra steps will save you more cleanup in the future.

Just a couple thoughts from my own experience:

First, I'd recommend getting a blowoff tube that's the same diameter as the opening of the carboy, so you don't have to mess with a stopper, and so the blowoff has more room. Your little blowoff tube could get clogged with foam as easily as an airlock. I did a high-gravity beer once where the krausen pushed halfway into the blowoff tube. Very messy.

were would i find a tube big enough to go over the opening of a Better bottle? Seems like that would be a huge tube.

Second, it appears that the milk jug that the tube goes to is capped. If you do this, drill holes in the top of the jug (not the cap) so the CO2 can vent out of the jug. Otherwise, the pressure could build up and rupture your jug. Again, messy.

Yeah when i first used the milk jug it started to deform real quick so i punched a few hole up top. Didn't want a repeat of before.

were would i find a tube big enough to go over the opening of a Better bottle? Seems like that would be a huge tube.

He's referring to one with an outside diameter to match the inside diameter of the better bottle opening. I'm not sure what that diameter is, but lots of folks on here seem to have them.

He's referring to one with an outside diameter to match the inside diameter of the better bottle opening. I'm not sure what that diameter is, but lots of folks on here seem to have them.

gotcha so it just pushes inside of better bottle. wonder if home depot or lowes carry one?

Well the 1" tubing fits regular carboys and is pretty easy to find, but for Better Bottles it's way bigger and not easy to find. I just use aluminum foil on mine when I'm not using it for secondary.

I usually use a blow off tube on anything that starts above 1.050. Usually I don't have to worry about a huge blow off on things below that. But what you've learned is a basic thing most homebrewers learn along the way at some point.

~r~

I usually use a blow off tube on anything that starts above 1.050. Usually I don't have to worry about a huge blow off on things below that. But what you've learned is a basic thing most homebrewers learn along the way at some point.

~r~

lol, so i should have thought about that when i saw an OG of 1.070 :cross: Thought the fermcap-S made me immune to blow offs. Doh

Back