K-97 without temp control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwitchyTxn

Reaction score
Fermenty folks,

I brewed Biermuncher's October FAST last weekend (life finds a way to interfere with hobbies, eh?) I used Safale K-97 and do not have my fermentation chamber set up yet. The old ice box resurrected itself; now I need to move and clean it.

To the rub, the closet I chose for the inaugural ferment at the new casa gets warm because it is not on central air. It rises to about 75 F on a 83 F day. My beer stopped bubbling in 48 hours! SG was 1.040; I need to change my crush for my BIAB system.

I have not taken a sample to see if it is finished yet. Am I going to have an ester beer? Saturday will be two weeks in primary; should I move to secondary or just bottle?

Thanks for the help and comments in advance.

Attachments

• SafAle-K-97.pdf
    390.2 KB · Views: 4
Since your 2 weeks in, I would just bottle at this point. You can take an FG reading but given your ferm temps and 14 days...I doubt it's still going.

I've never brewed with K-97.

My guess is it was pretty much done in those two days. Depending on temp you pitched at it might have already been half way done fermenting by time it warmed up to room (closet) temperature. It would have been generating its own heat so really no way of knowing what temp it fermented at but it was probably over quick. You have now had 12 days of cleanup time and this beer should be ready to bottle. Don't get too hung up on what to call it just yet. Get it into bottles, try one in three weeks, and if too estery for a pseudo Oktoberfest maybe call it something else. I'm stretching here but perhaps something English like a Best or Special Bitter will be better fit to what you made.

Back