Kölsch Brew (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stedtale

Reaction score
NB Kölsch kit.

1lb Pilsen DME
6lb Pilsen LME (@15m)
1oz Tradition @ 60m
1oz Hersbucker @30m
Wyeast Kölsch 2565

2.5 gal boil for 5 gal total

My first brew in a while.

P2190078.jpg

My 3 year old was in charge of photography...he is much cuter than the subject in this picture.

P2190079.jpg

Yep...new brew kettle..it's been a while

P2190082.jpg

Inventory....by the boy...

P2190083.jpg

Smacked pack...again...the boy behind the camera

P2190098.jpg

DME and Tradition...too hot for little guys to photograph

P2190102.jpg

LME and Hersbucker

P2190104.jpg

Who needs a wort chiller? 20lbs of ice and a bathtub - down to temp in about 5 minutes.

P2200106.jpg

yeast pitched. Bubblin' away 8 hours later. Sitting at 62º - great for Kölsch.

Total time = 2.5 hours, including clean-up.

How is that thermometer standing in the middle of the pot?

LOL. I thought the same thing when I first looked at that photo. Then I realized that it is just a optical illusion and it is really only about an inch off the the edge (the distance of the spring clamp).

I'm talking about this picture...

P2190098.jpg

the clips on neither of my thermometers are long enough to get it in the middle of the pot..

is the thermometer sticking that far out of the pot?

LOL... Yes, I know what your are referring to. Look closer... follow the stem of the thermometer down. You will see the faint outline of the spring clamp and you will also see how close to the edge of the pot it really is... It is no where near the center of the pot. Plus it doesn't help that that is one really small pot! Also, look at the picture of the pot in the ice bath- same pot, same thermometer, yet near the edge.

I see the off color, but I guess the angle is throwing me off.. Cool picture!

Stedtale... I agree with your comment, "who needs a wort chiller". On friday I used an ice chest, filled it half way with ice and cold water... set the pot in the ice chest (work out perfect because the ice water came right up to the lip of the pot) and had it down to temp in under 10 min.

I brewed a kolsch tonight as well... hope we both get awesome beers. mine was a brewers best kit and i just used the s-05 that came with it, but it is only me second batch so I bet I wont be too picky:mug:

LOL... Yes, I know what your are referring to. Look closer... follow the stem of the thermometer down. You will see the faint outline of the spring clamp and you will also see how close to the edge of the pot it really is... It is no where near the center of the pot. Plus it doesn't help that that is one really small pot! Also, look at the picture of the pot in the ice bath- same pot, same thermometer, yet near the edge.

Yeah, it's a small 16QT. And you are correct, the term is only 1" away from the side, I have it raise off the bottom of the pot 3"....and it's a 14" therm...so it's just an optical illusion, just like BigB said.

Here's the therm
P2190082.jpg

I see the off color, but I guess the angle is throwing me off.. Cool picture!

By off color, do you mean the green? Yeah, it got really green after I tossed in the Hersbucker. But I guess in 2.5 gal boil the color will get more concentrated.

Stedtale... I agree with your comment, "who needs a wort chiller". On friday I used an ice chest, filled it half way with ice and cold water... set the pot in the ice chest (work out perfect because the ice water came right up to the lip of the pot) and had it down to temp in under 10 min.

I spent $3 on ice...I figure I can make 20+ batches before I spend the money on a homemade wort chiller.

I brewed a kolsch tonight as well... hope we both get awesome beers. mine was a brewers best kit and i just used the s-05 that came with it, but it is only me second batch so I bet I wont be too picky:mug:

Nice.

I went for the Wyeast Activator, I wanted to give it every chance to get going, and boy it has.

It's into the secondary. 1012 SG. Now it's in my "laggering cellar" (40-45ºF in winter, 50-55ºF in summer).

I love the auto siphon...and wearing dirty shirts, it's kinda my "thing"
P3050152.jpg

Airlock on
P3050153.jpg

In the cellar
P3050157.jpg

See you in 4 weeks
P3050160.jpg

I do full boils (5 gallons) and I've never seen the need for a wort chiller OR the ice bath. I just keep the lid on my boil pot and then immerse it in a bathtub full of cool water. I'm usually down to 80F within 30 to 45 minutes! Anything bigger than 5 gallons? Yeah, I could definately see the need for one.

I too am currently aging a Honey Kolsch that I got from Northern Brewer. I'll be bottling it in about another week. Preliminary samples from the hydro tube are very promising. I think it's going to be really good.

I do full boils (5 gallons) and I've never seen the need for a wort chiller OR the ice bath. I just keep the lid on my boil pot and then immerse it in a bathtub full of cool water. I'm usually down to 80F within 30 to 45 minutes! Anything bigger than 5 gallons? Yeah, I could definately see the need for one.

I too am currently aging a Honey Kolsch that I got from Northern Brewer. I'll be bottling it in about another week. Preliminary samples from the hydro tube are very promising. I think it's going to be really good.

Of course, this is a hobby of gadgets.... :D

It went down a little faster and colder than I expected. It's sitting at 42ºF right now and clearing already.

So, I bottled it last weekend. Went smoothly except for one thing.

Primary-secondary it tasted fine.

My sample out of the bottling bucket tasted a little odd, but I'm hoping that's the priming sugar and "greeness" of the beer. It tasted slightly ... let's say applely and cidery, but not vinegary.

I got 10-22oz and 26-12oz out of it. Total of 4.15625 Gallons. Does that mean I may have over primed with 5oz of priming sugar? Will I get bombs? By my calcs that's about 19-20% more sugar per bottle than needed.

That is a little high for the style but do not think that it will cause bottle bombs. Looks like it should carb to about 3.1 volumes. It should be around 2.4-2.8. You can always monitor the carb levels and move it back down the basement when at the levels you desire.

Thanks!

What level do bomb start...bombing?

Also, is there a better way to test than to crack one open? I assume no, I've never heard of one.

I'm not sure at what levels they start to bomb. I just know some belgium beers are spec to carb at 3.1 levels so it should be fine.

The only way I know is to crack one and drink it. Could be worse ways..

Interested in how this one turns out. NB's kolsh kit was the first beer I brewed a few months ago when I started. I still have a few bombers of it. I'd say it's "OK", however I also did a partial boil and used the dry yeast + the fact it was my first ever brew probably didn't help the kit any. I'm curious how the full boil with the liquid yeast turned out.

Interested in how this one turns out. NB's kolsh kit was the first beer I brewed a few months ago when I started. I still have a few bombers of it. I'd say it's "OK", however I also did a partial boil and used the dry yeast + the fact it was my first ever brew probably didn't help the kit any. I'm curious how the full boil with the liquid yeast turned out.

I'll let ya know, I could even give ya a bottle. I didn't do a full boil, I did partial, but I did Wyeast. But, don't get your hopes up, it's my first brew in 5 years.

Couldn't wait. Opened one up. It's been at 68-70 for 7 days. Yep, it's going to be over carbed, but over is better than under, unless it goes boom. But I think it'll end up being about 3.1-3.2 Vol CO2.

Tasted great. A wee bit green. But the green apple (my guess is Acetaldehyde), has gone way down from a week. But it was crisp and clean...well a little yeasty, but that'll settle out too.

I think I'm going to move them to the basement to condition for another 3 weeks (60-64) to try to ease the change of bottle bombs - but I really don't think I have to worry at 3.2 Vol CO2, the bottle should be able to handle that.

I should post a pic. I always bottle on 12ozer in an old Grain Belt Premium bottle so I can see it.

I snuck another one. It's pretty good. I really need to let it age another week or two. Should be great than.

Just ordered this kit from NB along with a Boilermaker and some other new equipment. Can't wait to do it in my new AG setup!

Latest posts

Back