Jute or Sisal twine experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Coir yarn but, it pre-cut to length and I don't have enough.:(

I have found both Jute rope (3/8") and Sisal (3/8") in large spools (1000ft +) but have not been able to source spools of Coir.

Has anyone used the Jute or Sisal ropes for twine?

How did it fare through the season?

If the Sisal is a viable option I prefer it as it is readily available and thus, I could replace it seasonally.

In my area it gets HOT and DRY with lots of sun and sporadic rains. Will these fibers hold up?

I don't know the exact names of fibers of string but I just got some rough lookin stuff at Home Depot. It works every year so I just can't see any massive technical reason why one would go with another when it comes to string.
You'll find that the bines are very rough indeed and won't have trouble attaching itself to string.

Hot and Dry? I'm in Colorado and we get both. Maybe not like AZ or Death valley but you get my point.

I used the cheap Jute rope on mine.

DSCF0395.jpg
[/IMG]

As long as you are using rope & not twine. Twine tends to unwind and fall apart. Getting 12 feet of bine back in the air ain't fun.

I have use sisal twine in a horizontal trellice type system and have had no problems. However at the end of the year the twine has weakened a good bit. I dont believe it could take tall vertical runs covered in the hop vines. If it is cheap why not twist 2 strands or braid 3 strands?

here's what I know and have read:

Sisal is the most economical natural fiber twine available. It is strong, rugged and holds well without much stretch.
jute is often used where strength is not a factor
I would go Sisal, it's cheap.

I got some Coir Yarn from fresh hops, and It
looks like tough potato sack fiber that would
hold up for at least 2 years (in my area anyway)
It's also very rough , which I read the Bine finds
perfect for making attachment to.

I'm happy I found this thread to revive. I am about to plant out 32 rhizomes around my house. I work for a hops broker and was able to select the beefiest rhizomes in the pallets of options so I'm suspecting I will get some significant growth the first year.

I am going to run a cable between two fence posts parallel to the house. Jute or Sisal will run up to the cable and then connect to the roof of the house at about a 65 degree angle. This will hopefully provide some shade over our path on the house and get us some relief from the central Washington summer.

What is an ideal fiber? Can I use the cheap stuff I find, or should I be selecting based on ply numbers? I don't want to over buy my lines but it gets very windy here so I need something that will hold up to a little tug here and there. What is the lingo I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

I had to cut down my two years old bale twine because I could not pull it down, this spring.

I didn't get my hops harvested due to weather and life timings last year, so the bines stayed up all winter. The twine was hung when the hops went in two years ago. First years growth I was able to strip off, without cutting the twine.

The twine is sisal baler twine from the remnants of a roll that was buried in the farm shop, figure it has been at least 40 years since we used anything but plastic baler twine here, if that gives you an idea for age.

If I hadn't cut it, so as to make it easier to haul the dead stuff away in bulk, it would still be good for another year, IMO.

TeeJo

I use the sisal bailing twine for the last ten years good stuff but you have to cut it at the top to get it off.

great news that i can use basic stuff and not over purchase on twine. should i design enough to run from the hop hill, over the cable, to the roof and through at eyelet, and staked down on the ground? My thinking was I could loosen it on one end and let it drop through the other.

Thanks for the quick input Teejo and Halifax!

I was looking at sisal and jute at home cheapo the other day, the jute had 7 lb limit but looked strong, the sisal was even thiner. So you all mostly use sisal?

Jesus! 7 pounds limit for weight?

The stuff I was replaced by plastic that is rated at 215 pounds tensile, and was used to lift and carry 70 pound bales of hay.

Not nearly the same stuff, I would suggest.

TeeJo

I used #21 Sisal rope from HD and it seems plenty strong. I ran it doubled up but I can tell you that a single line was strong enough that I couldn't break it by pulling on it. Matter of fact it burnt the sh*t out of my fingers when my hand slipped while pulling on it.
I may be flirting with disaster by using it but I think it should work out just fine

Yea the stuff looked strong, I had it ready to walk away and check out and saw 7 lbs. It looked away stronger than that, but wasn't taking a chance.

Back