Just Wondering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadCnty

Reaction score
Ok so I am wanting to try a wheat/pilsner beer and do not really want to do a decoction mash, which the recipe calls for... So my question is... Does a 90 minute boil take care of this or should I just stick with 2 row instead of the pilsner??? Thanks in advance... :)

The 90 min boil is to reduce DMS, which you should do with a high % of pilsner always IMO...

The decoction suggestion is to convert undermodified grains, most grains we get today are very well modified and don't really need a decoction. I've made an all pilsner smash before using only a single infusion mash and had no problems...

SO go ahead and use the pilsner with a single infusion mash, i would also suggest a 90min boil if you're using a high % of it.

The 90 min boil is to reduce DMS, which you should do with a high % of pilsner always IMO...

The decoction suggestion is to convert undermodified grains, most grains we get today are very well modified and don't really need a decoction. I've made an all pilsner smash before using only a single infusion mash and had no problems...

SO go ahead and use the pilsner with a single infusion mash, i would also suggest a 90min boil if you're using a high % of it.

Thanks for the reply!!! The grain bill is 5lb wheat 3lb pilsner and 2lb specialty grains... So I will just boil for 90 and top off if needed. :)

If i'm doing a 90min boil, i'll just sparge a little extra to get more volume in my kettle to account for the longer boil. But topping off if you run short would be perfectly fine as well.

Never used pilsner (or alot of grains for that matter...) before today... I can say that this batch went ALOT better than last... :p

Back