Just watched "Ex Machina"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
Anyone else seen this flick? I was really impressed, I quite enjoyed it. Very intelligent dialog, some real thought-provoking questions to ponder, slick effects without stealing focus from the story - a pleasant surprise from a relatively low-budget film with a bunch of names I'd never heard of.

Almost went and saw it in the theater a couple times when SWMBO was out of town. It got pretty good reviews. Hopefully it'll get released on NF at some point.

Edit: looks like it's on AP. Perhaps I'll watch it this weekend.

i liked the movie. Same director that did 28 days later and sunshine, both movies i like.

I thought it was pretty cool. Especially the ending. I like films that dont follow the typical derivative throwaway movie arc. You know, like 90min runtime every time, everythings cool for the first 30min, uh oh problems until the climax at the 75min mark and then, yay hollywood style resolution everythings cool again. I almost feel like my attention span had been groomed to 90min max from the movies i watched as a kid

I was also fascinated by Nathan's explanation for why he gave the robots sexuality. Is there purpose to life without an imperative to reproduce? What would two sexless grey boxes talk about? What would their motive be for forming thoughts or ideas? A lot of really cool food for thought in this movie.

SPOILER ALERT

How cool would it have been if Caleb had turned out to be a robot?

I think the sexless grey boxes would make sexless grey beer. Gives them purpose

and yeah I expected near the end he was gonna get a cut or something and find glowing circuitry under his skin

Saw this a few weeks ago. Liked it a lot - not enough to go to a theater, but it made for an enjoyable evening at home.

I saw this a couple of months ago, then watched it again Fri night with family. It's one of my favorite movies of the year! The unexpected dance scene was a HOOT.

Lots of twists and turns in this movie. Also, once it's done, there's different ways to interpret what you just saw.

Thanks for the recommendations, I didn't see it in the theater (not SWMBO's genre of movie, and I seldom go to the movies alone) but will definitely stream it some night this week.

Was not overly impressed by the movie as a whole, streamed from NF.

Was still a "rise of the machines type movie", albeit a bit more in with the times. But it was thought provoking. Interesting use of internet search engines data for AI. Good thing they didn't base it off FB newsfeeds or Wall-E'd be fvcking genius!

Back