Just Transferred beer to keg to find out I have no CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWickett4

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just finished transferring my beer to my keg only to find out that my CO2 system has a leak and my recently filled tank is empty. Now no purging, no sealing of keg lid, etc is possible. And of course its Saturday night so I won't be able to get CO2 til Monday. Is my beer going to be an oxidated mess? Any thoughts on how to salvage something?

Come down off the roof. My bet is your beer will be fine for a couple of days 'til you get your tank refilled, then flush the head space and get that keg on gas...

Cheers! ;)

Maybe just blow in the headspace of your keg with a straw or something like that? You exhale C02. Just don't drool in it. Maybe brush your teeth and use mouthwash first? sounds like a joke but I'm almost serious.

Blowing into a keg sounds like a great way to infect your beer with all sorts of nasties. Your mouth is kind of the opposite of good sanitation, even if you use mouthwash.

Your beer will be fine if it waits a couple days for you to refill.

boil 1 cup of corn sugar and add to keg. Charlie papanzie does this in his book, 1st pour will be sediment and clear after supposedly!
this is an alternative to co2 from the tank!!!

Either way, I bet you'll be able to release some pressure from C02 coming out of solution after transferring if you have a good seal. Try to vent it tomorrow. If the keg is full, there shouldn't be a lot of headspace to replace.

Add some corn sugar to your keg and let it naturally carbonate if you're worried about letting it sit. Personally, I wouldn't worry in the least bit. Putting it into a keg without CO2 is basically just like moving it to a secondary (or tertiary) fermenter. I know many do purge their secondary fermenters, but I don't, and I know many others don't either.

Latest posts

Back