just to make sure i have the process down of partial mash with alot of grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
howdy!

just a quick question because i am doing a partial mash recipe with alot more grains then i'm used to...
Now following deathbrewers itinerary

1) heat 2 gallons of "mash" water in one pot to around 160ish (to account for grain temp loss)
2) put grains in bag into "mash tun" for 45-60 minutes.
3) fill your boil kettle with 2 gallons of water and get it to about 170*
4) take grain bag out of "mash tun" and let as much wort drain off.
5) place grain bag into boil kettle and let it steep for about 10 minutes
6) pull grain bag out and let it drain a bit more
6.5) place grain bag into a strainer above a bowl to get the rest of the "drippings" out of the bag.
7) add both pots together and boil as normal
8) cool wort to pitching temps and put all wort into the fermenter
9) fill up to 5 gallon mark, pitch yeast and walk away

does that sound about right? or am i missing something?

:edit: i'm used to doing partial mashes/extract batches with maybe a pound of grains... and the same process of the tea bagging for an hour didn't seem right.

TIA! :tank:

A few things you might be missing...
For the mash use about 1.5 quarts water per pound of grain.
Stir the mash good after adding the water then adjust the mash temperature to around 154 degrees.
Either Insulate your "mash tun" with towels/blankets OR put it in an oven warmed to at most 150 degrees and turn it off (which is what I do).
2 gallons or more should be fine for sparging.

Hello! That sounds almost exactly like my procedure. In my small apartment I can't quite do All Grain for most beers. PM with a large grain bill is pretty easy though. I also use a lot of grain in my partial mashes, usually at least 75% of the grist. After doing it for a year I can't see how it's any harder than PM with a smaller grain bill.

With my 4 gal brewpot/mashtun I max out around 8# grain, which is enough for small AG beers. For most recipes with an OG of 1050 or higher I have to compensate with 2-3 lb of DME.

I use a 4 gal stainless steel brewpot / mashtun and the big nylon bag from the local store.
I like a thin mash using about 1.5 qt per lb grain to prevent doughballs in the bag.
I heat my water to 150F plus 2 degrees F per pound grain.
I try to sparge with as much water as I can. 15 qt fit in the brewkettle, minus 1.5 qt per lb grain in the mash; what's left is my sparge. Or there abouts, depending on how much gets absorbed by the grains.
*I squeeze almost every drop of liquid I can out of the grain bag. There are different opinions about whether doing so affects the taste of your beer, but I have been happy with the beer and it increases my efficiency.
I take a careful measurement of how much water I add to dilute, it tells me how much I lost in boil and to absorption in the grains so I can adjust for next time.

Otherwise it looks just like your schedule. Has been working Great!

Back