Just tasted my cherry cider at 1 week...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

MacBruver

Reaction score
I just grabbed a sample of my batch of cherry cider (1 gallon cider, 8 oz of cherry concentrate) and it seems to be going well. OG was 1.060, and it's already down to 1.000... this stuff is done!!!

I tasted the sample, and it seems like it will be good. It's pretty tart right now, but there's a good cherry flavor hiding in there.

What's the flavor profile on a cider usually like at 1 week?

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Do you plan on backsweetening to counter the tartness? Plan on adding any tannin? Just curious. Regards, GF.

OP
MacBruver

MacBruver

Reaction score
I think I'll definitely be backsweetening it, as I like a little sweetness, and theres none in there now! I'm actually surprised how well this munton's ale yeast attenuated out... I was thinking I would get at least a couple points left over, but it chewed through everything. I did pitch this batch pretty heavily (not on purpose- i meant to divide the envelope evenly between both containers, but this one got a little more)

What do tannins give you? I'm familiar with the flavor, but I've never heard of directly adding it... hmm, I'll have to do some more research on that. :)

Reaction score
don't bottle it yet.

Simple sugars and juice can get below 1.000 pretty easy.

As for the tart, in 3 months the tart won't be so tart. At 6 months it will be a smooth cherry flavor.