Just tasted my beer for the second week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I tasted my beer (first brew) over the weekend for the second time. After being in the bottle for two weeks, it's not horrible, but I have a couple of questions.

The first week that I tasted it after being in the bottle for a week, I had an initial "bite" and then beer taste. It's an amber ale, and it really reminded me of a Negro Modelo or some other mexican ale.

This weekend, after the 2nd week, I get a very mild beer taste (Negro reminiscence is gone). It's fresh and crisp tasting, but seems to be a little watery now that the flavors are mellowing out.

Next week will be the third week, and though I could be wrong, I'm not expecting to get a fuller bodied beer after another week.

I used a kit for this batch, and it said to add water to the 5 gallon line which ended up being 2.5 gallons of water. I'm wondering if the next kit that I make, should I add only up to the 4 gallon line if I want fuller body? How do I go about getting it not so watery next time?

Thanks!

Can you tell us a little bit more about the recipe? How much water you add isn't the critical part, it's more what the gravities were when you started and when you finished fermenting. Assuming your doing extract, there are grains you can steep (cara, crystal) to add body or you could use a different yeast strain that won't attenuate as much.

Another thing to keep in mind is that after two weeks, it's likely still not fully carbonated - another week should correct that. Proper carbonation changes the mouthfeel of a beer by a lot, and may well change how you perceive its flavors.

Aside from that, bruin has some really good points; "concentrating" your beer like you're suggesting may (or well may not) change the beer in the way you're looking for, but choosing a different kit or different style may do a whole lot more.

Also as far as the "mexican beer" taste to it, did you store it in a dark area? When I think "mexican beer," I think skunked.

I don't remember the final numbers, but I believe that FG was 1.010 and starting was 1.040 (I remember calculating % at 4.5ABV final). I honestly didn't think that carbing for another week could change mouth feel, but that would be interesting to see. I'm giving these out on Saturday this week because of a get together that I'm having, so I hope they're better than they are now =)

being fully carbed and conditioned DOES change the mouth feel a good bit. two weeks is to early to judge, three weeks in the bottle is when you should be checking, and even then it could take longer especialy if its a bigger beer. look up some other posts about "my beer didn't carb" and read what revvy posts. another thing to note is that with a lot of kits they probably make them so that everyone can enjoy them, so they may not have as big of a mouth feel as you would expect. congrats on your first brew! wait another week or two and it will be better.

I don't remember the final numbers, but I believe that FG was 1.010 and starting was 1.040 (I remember calculating % at 4.5ABV final). I honestly didn't think that carbing for another week could change mouth feel, but that would be interesting to see. I'm giving these out on Saturday this week because of a get together that I'm having, so I hope they're better than they are now =)

They are also conditioning during week three. Time always helps.

And remember that the yeasties work on their schedule not yours:mug:

Carbing typically takes another 2-3 weeks...don't expect it to be ready this coming weekend if you bottled it this past weekend.

As I'm getting better at mixing extracts & hops,I'm getting a bit more ABV%. but I'm also getting less & less of that "watery" sensation. It's not just ingredients,it's not just process,it's a combination of things as you progress. And o2 barrier caps help a lot too.
It's finally raining,after being 88-95F all week,wheeewww!! Man,that's better. Been re-soaking the tee over my cooper's fermenter of IPA all week,several times a day. With a 12" turbo fan close up to it 24/7. Pour dear has been up to 28C (about 80F) all day,finally gotten back down to 26C. And I need to take a second FG tomorrow morning. 1st FG Saturday was 1.011,down from 1.050. That's an idea of what you go through brewing in summer with no temp control. Just need more time with this heat. More hops & malt don't hurt either. But mainly hops in this heat,so far anyway. All's well,no off flavors standing out after 2 weeks & 2 days.
So I'll be spending a lot of bottle time after a 1week dry hop. Hopefully tomorrow. Seems like heat forces even more patience.

Back