Just tasted FG reading!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I just tasted the sample of my FG reading and its pretty good. Kind of yeasty and has a bit of a bite, but I could easily drink it how it is. I'ts only been a week fermenting. I have one question though. I know there is a table on here but I can't find it. My OG was 1.040 and my FG is 1.012. I'll take another reading tomorrow to make sure it's done. Question is how do I calcultate alcohol content? The "guide" on my hydrometer says less than 3%. Is this because I'll be adding more sugar at bottling? I know that should up it a little. It's an English Brown Ale that should be about 4-5%. Also, I did not recieve a lid with my bottling bucket. Itsn't it unsafe to bottle with no lid to cover the beer?

Yes, you just reiterated the formula I gave you.

Priming sugar adds less than .5% ABV (almost negligible).

EDIT:
Just did a little math - priming sugar will generally increase ABV by less than .25%.

What was the recipe? Extract recipes usually aren't off by much.

Are you correcting your hydrometer readings for temperature?

Did you stir the wort VERY WELL before taking the OG?

I took both readings at 68F. My hydrometer instructions have no adustments at that temp. Anyway here's the recipe.

3.3lbs plain amber malt extract
2lbs plain amber dry malt extract
8oz Crystal Malt 60L
1oz Willamette Hops (Bittering)
.5 oz Willamette Hops (Finishing)

I did stir the wort, but not VERY WELL

I recognize that recipe- that was my first beer, a Brewer's Best extract kit. They give you a range for the og (1.040- 1.048) and a fg range (1.010-1.012). The ABV range is an estimate of those ranges.

My hydrometer is calibrated at 60 degrees, and when I made that kit, the og was 1.046. You're right in the ballpark. Maybe you added a quart or so of water more in the fermenter than I did.

Back