Just starting my brewing experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
So a few friends and I decided we wanted to start brewing beer. We started with a real simple kit that basically was as pre-made as pre-made can be and we now want to move on and attempt to brew beer for real. We have been discussing brew ideas non stop and even plan to grow our own hops eventually. We are setting out this week to purchase all the equipment that we need to make our beers. I feel like what I need to get a good understanding of brewing, not just the process, but the language that goes with it is some good books to read on the subject. I have already purchased The Homebrewers Garden by Joe Fisher, Hops Variety Handbook by Dan Woodske, The Homebrewers Recipe Guide by Patrick Higgens, and The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charles Papazian. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other books that would help a beginner that is very interested in making some great beers, especially beers that will help me understand the process and the language surrounding home brewing and beer in general. Thanks!

If you want to grow your own hops you better start pre-ordering now. They won't last long. Pre-order season has begun, they will be shipping in a month or two. Don't hesitate if you want to start growing hops this year. You won't really get much this year but if you wait until next year to order them then that's another year you have to wait to see your beautiful hops vines. What I mean is, you will me waiting 1 extra year for every year you wait. Order your hops rhizomes now so you have them growing for next year.

Depends on location. I recommend freshops.com but they aren't taking orders til mid-march. I got two cascades from them last year.

Mutt98 said:
You can also read palmer's "how to brew" online with a quick google search. Won't cost you a dime.

While the online version is a good resource, it hasn't been updated at all and Palmer has changed his opinion on many things he wrote there so just be careful to distinguish between fact and opinion.

bleme said:
While the online version is a good resource, it hasn't been updated at all and Palmer has changed his opinion on many things he wrote there so just be careful to distinguish between fact and opinion.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware.

Back