Just Starting In Cleveland, OH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOCBrewing

Reaction score
hi,

my friend and i are just getting into brewing, haven't actually brewed anything at all, but thought we'd get some advice and tips before we attempt.

we both go to school together at ohio university and have been friends for a long time. we actually don't know anything about brewing beer, so why not look to other home brewers to pass on some experience?

we'll accept any help we can get.

cheers,

Ross and Dusty.

p.s. we are looking to see what equipment we need, etc etc... should we start with a starter kit and if, what kind?

Welcome to HBT and to the obsession that is brewing. I'm also from Cleveland and have been brewing just over a year. HBT has been a great resource for me.

The easiest way to get started is to pick up a good starter brewing kit and an ingredient kit. Most of the local home brew shops seem to carry Brewer's Best kits which are a good place to start. Besides the kit you will need a large brew pot (20 qt is a good size but 16qt will do) and bottles. The instructions included with the kits are pretty good. Also howtobrew.com is an excellent resource.

Good luck.

Craig

thanks a lot. we are very excited and i, ross, have been reading howtobrew.com for the past few hours as well as his guide to brewing your first beer. this seems like it is going to be just as much fun as everyone seems to say it is.

although i know brewing kits are simple and such, any suggestions onto what kind of starter kit i should get, any brand or such better than others? same for ingredient kits?

A for starter kits, I havn't seen any big difference.
The minimum you need is a brew bucket with lid, a bottling bucket, capper, auto-siphon, tubing, hydrometer.
As for kits, get a recipe that sounds good. Get something like Brewers Best or similar store brand that includes extract, grains and hops. Avoid the beer in a can kits.

I order most of my ingredients from The Grape and Granary in Akron. I placed an order last Monday and received it Tuesday.

Good luck and have fun.

Craig

Welcome to the forum, and you are in the right place. There are tons of answers here, and most of the FAQs and common topics are "stickied" so you don't have to look far for answers (also, the search function works great).

You may want to seek out a friendly local homebrew supply store (referred to as LHBS here) in your area. Most sell starter equipment kits and are happy to answer any questions you have and just help you through the steps of preparing for your first brew. As for online retailers, Northern Brewer and Austin Home Brew are both very popular and well regarded. In fact, the dude who runs the latter is an active member of this forum.

Back