Just started first brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bford

Reaction score
Ok, got the water up to 170...put in the mash and stirred.. temp did not go down very fast... at all... so it stayed at 160-165 for a few minutes as I figured out what to do... was adding small amounts of cold water and stirring.

At 20 minutes it was down to 152.

Did it already hurt the ability to ferment because it started out too hot?

This is a Brooklyn Brew Shop Smoked Wheat kit.... 1 gallon of course

I can say the grains/malt smell heavenly!

I'll update if I run into any further rookie mistakes.. most likely it will happen ha.

Was this an all grain kit or extract with specialty grains?

If all grain, it will have some impact, but I doubt you would notice anything other than perhaps a higher than expect FG since most beta enzymes were probably denatured causing a less fermentable wort.

If its a extract kit, I wouldn’t worry at all since most of the sugars are coming from the extract.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction

Ok, got the water up to 170...put in the mash and stirred.. temp did not go down very fast... at all... so it stayed at 160-165 for a few minutes as I figured out what to do... was adding small amounts of cold water and stirring.

At 20 minutes it was down to 152.

Did it already hurt the ability to ferment because it started out too hot?

This is a Brooklyn Brew Shop Smoked Wheat kit.... 1 gallon of course

I can say the grains/malt smell heavenly!

I'll update if I run into any further rookie mistakes.. most likely it will happen ha.

Hello, IMO you didn't hurt your beer, yes it will be a bit less fermentable than if you mashed it the entire time at 152.

I have done the same thing and I ended up with a beer a bit lower in alcohol with a bit more flavor, if I hadn't don't the recipe a few times already I don't think I would have even noticed, you could hardly tell.

Let us know how it turns out, You just might like it a lot.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks.... it was an all grain kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop....

I checked on it just now and it is in the closet just bubbling away doing work.

I'll be more careful of the mash temp next time!

Back