Just started fermentation and boy it looks nasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volcom579

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I finally did it, i finished brewing my first batch of beer. I made a whit beer and used dry light malt and wheat extracts and belgian whit yeast. Was alot of fun but now i am just prayin that it turns out as planned. So anyhow now looking at the fermentation process, it looks alot different than other fermenting pictures posted before which is sort of making me second guess if i did this correctly. There is chunks floating all throughout the beer, white foam mixed with chunks on the top and a sediment layer on the bottom that seems to slowly be dissapearing. I will post a pick. Anyhow what i really want to know is how can you tell if your beer is good or was a bad batch or got infected? I sanatized my boil pot, carboy and everything else in oxyclean then in a little bleach and water and then rinsed very well. Maybe im just nervous but check out my pic and let me know what ya think.

Sounds like a healthy fermentation to me, congrats on the first batch! :mug:

Oh and for your future reference, sanitizing your boil pot isn't necessary. The act of boiling takes care of that for you.

SV101659.JPG

Fermenting beer is pretty ugly to those who are not accustomed to seeing it churn. Have no fear though, you'll siphon right off of all those floaties and end up with some great beer in a few weeks.

So all those chunks is just the yeast? Will they eventually sink to the bottom?

Yes. There may be a tiny bit floating on top, depending, but they will not get in the way at bottle time if you are careful. Mine usually clear up pretty good, especially if I've used a carlifying agent like Irish Moss.

Back