Just started Blackberry Wine and I already potentially messed up by almost doubling the amount of fruit the recipe called for -- Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nakune

Reaction score
Hello all! This is the 3rd time Im making 1 gallon of blackberry wine. It is my all time favorite! But it's been 10 years and I can't remember the recipe I used last time.

As a precursor, I prefer veeeryyyy dry wines. The closer the taste, to the smell of rubbing alcohol -- the better to me. Jokes. But for real, I love it reallll dry.

This time, I think I'd like to shoot for around 13% alcohol. So I was thinking, the more fruit, the better right? No, I guess not! In my research, I'm reading this can cause acid imbalance / tartness / flavor to be way off (to the average wine drinker they said -- whatever that means -- does that mean we can just appreciate a more tart, acidic flavour, lol?)

This is the recipes I am roughly following, except I am using 71B yeast. And I added 1/4 tsp Wine Tannin because I like the dry mouthfeel.

https://www.winemakersdepot.com/Blackberry-Wine-Recipe.aspx
Rather than the 4 pounds of fruit, I used probably ~6 pounds.

So far, -- where Im at -- I've mashed/crushed the blackberries in a straining bag in my primary fermenting bucket. Then added 7 liters of boiling water (with 2.5 lbs of sugar mixed in). Added a campden tablet, 1/4 tsp of Wine Tannin, and 1/2 tsp of citric acid. It's been about an hour so far (time is now 7:30 PM EST August 14th)

When the water cools down in many hours, I will add the yeast nutrient, 1/2 tsp pectin (or should I use 1 tsp?), measure my specific gravity and report back here!

Did I mess up by using too much fruit and adding an extra 1/2 tsp of aditional citric acid? Do I need to go out and buy an acid testing kit? Or do I just need to raise the S.G. till my desired 13% in this case to balance everything out? Or what?! Seeking guidance, please advise your thoughts!

Thank you so much in advance!

p.s Any other recommendations or changes anyone can suggest to the recipe above, and what I've already done, to ensure a drier wine? Cheers :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much, I use 6 lbs of blackberries per gallon of wine when I make blackberry wine and it comes out great. I still add citric acid as well. Full bodied, tart, and dry. It sounds like you have a solid recipe.

That little bit of acid is nothing to worry about. As for the fruit...more the better! I've made PURE CRUSHED BlackBerry wine. NO WATER. Delicous.

Ah, I'm so relieved. I can't wait now :) And OMG Luke, that sounds AMAZING. May I ask you to post your recipe here, or maybe private message it to me? I'd love to try that next year!

Last edited:
Jack Keller's recipe calls for 6 lbs. If you look up his book on amazon the blackberry recipe is posted as the book's excerpt.

RIP Jack.

Ah, I'm so relieved. I can't wait now :) And OMG Luke, that sounds AMAZING. May I ask you to post your recipe here, or maybe private message it to me? I'd love to try that next year!

No real difference in recipes. Just crush 10 lbs of berries for each gallon. Measure SG of juice, add sugar to amend to your SG you want. I aim for 1.090; that's plenty.
Remember, when crushing whole berries, you'll lose about 10% to skins and seeds. So, you have to do the math...Berries will be 80% water, 10% sugar, 10% waste. Multiply those by the weight you use, and you'll have your starting liquid and starting sugar amounts.
No Acid, tart enough. No Tannin, seeds enbitter enough.

I just have to add, when you use that much fruit, try to make more than you’re target final volume. You’ll loose a lot to racking. That’s why so many sources say you need nearly 20lbs of grapes for a gallon (referring to finished product).

Back